Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

My 800 Sportsman update

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My 800 Sportsman update

holding on to the break lever while hitting the throttle. also known as a brake stand to spin the tires while sitting still.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holding the brake and throttle at the same time.
Like powerbraking a truck.

Since sportsman atv's have a lever for all four brakes, or a pedal for the
rear.

Can you actually get the rear tires spinning with the brake on?

So what mtnhiker19 did shredded the belt because it was trying to spin while the wheels were locked up?

Old 12-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

Yes just like powerbraking a truck or car..yes the rears will spin in 2x4..be warned it is very hard on the machine even in low.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

If you go so slow the belt is barely engaged it will slip and the slippage causes excess friction which causes heat which causes belt failure. That's what Polaris says anyway. If you put it in low the belt won't slip like that when you go slow plus the belt and pulleys spin faster creating more airflow. It eliminates the main source of belt-destroying heat.</end quote></div>

Frank-as long as the belt is solidly engaged the problem is low clutch speed and airflow. Even in high the belt is completely engaged at a very low speed,2mph or so. If it isn't completely engaged you can easily feel the slippage IMO. The problem with very low speeds in high IMO,other than low airflow, is it is common to be in and out of the throttle when you need to move that slow. Being that close to engagement RPM, gettting in and out of the throttle continuosly disengages and re-engages the belt which builds alot of heat and causes wear.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Range Rover

why would you Power break a machine with only 4 wheel breaking or rear wheel breaking?? Seems Like you Just asking for trouble, and in my mind if that really toasted the Belt you should be Responsible for the repairs. I am Not trieing to bash but I wonder what the thought Process that was involved in the Instanced.

Just MOP&gt;

Old 12-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

holding on to the break lever while hitting the throttle. also known as a brake stand to spin the tires while sitting still.</end quote></div>

The dumb thing is though the brake lever applies the brakes to all 4 tires... doing this is a sure fire way to damage the machine.

for this you earn:
Name:  picard-no-facepalm.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  31.8 KB

Lucky to hear the dealer is fixing it for him.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

In his original thread he gave some indication that he thought the hand lever was the front brakes. I guess maybe he thought the hand lever is front and the foot lever the rear? He knows now,lol.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

In his original thread he gave some indication that he thought the hand lever was the front brakes. I guess maybe he thought the hand lever is front and the foot lever the rear? He knows now,lol.</end quote></div>

LOL yeah i know .. just having fun. Had an itch to use that pic. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

good one Groovy,great picture!it could use a caption stating Joune luke Picard saying,as far as refusing the warrantee for that guy freakin brake torqueing his popo and blowing the belt---"MAKE IT SO"!!!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Trailblazer

Quick Reply: My 800 Sportsman update