Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Looking at the XP parts listing....

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 04:40 AM
DCT
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at the XP parts listing....

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: WOLF1

Porsche, BMW and several others have used this technology for years.</end quote></div>

Yep, one of the big ones that comes to my mind is Jaguar... at least some of them.

I believe there were/are some issue with the Nikasil lined engines. However, it probably has a lot to do with the way the coating was applied.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

Sounds like a good, tough block. Should make HIGHOCTANE feel better. LOL</end quote></div>

I knew Nicasil has a rep for being better than Iron Lined,that's why I posted the links..to ease everyone's mind about the durability of Nicasil. I didn't want to start a frenzy or some rumor. The comment about high sulfur was't meant as it isn't good,but supposedly very high sulfur fuels(most don't have to worry about this)can cause problems with the coating.
The reason I posted was to share the info,so people would know what they had.
And I'm curious as to why Polaris would list 2 different lined blocks. I'm pretty sure they have been using Nicasil in at least some of their snowmobile engines,but I didn't know they were doing it in the ATV engines. Wonder if the 850 is the first?And if they are only doing a certain amount as some sort of pilot test? Just my curious wheels turning,lol

Sorry if it seemed like I was questioning Polaris' use of Nicasil, if anything I was questioning their use of iron linings when they used the better Nicasil on some.
I could see in the military machines actually,to save money without excessively sacrificing reliability. Besides the govt machines are designed to be left behind if they break,so you know they have to be building them cost effectively.
But,like I said that parts listing has no govt machines in it.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: old polaris tech

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

Looks like as of 7/2/2008 the 850 has a different part number transmission assy. than the 550. Didn't see any parts changes though? Just the assy.

Also there are 2 different short blocks,no date or other explanation,just 2 listed with the same usage indicated. 1 is Nicasil(also called Nikasil,and other names)the other is iron lined....hmm

Kit, Short Block [EH0850LE011][Nicasil]

Kit, Short Block, Iron Lined [EH0850LE012]

I checked the numbers on mine and it is the Nicasil block.

If you remove the seat and look down at the motor the sticker will be on the back of the valve cover.

If you aren't familiar here is a couple of pages that talk about Nicasil..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil

</a>

http://www.poweredpara...ngo......htm

</a>

http://www.nicasil-zep.com/uk/niploy.html</end quote></div>

[img][/img] just my 2 cents worth,I've seen some horrible seizures on our KTM dirt bikes that are nikasil and 95 percent of the time we just lightly hone out to break the glaze and throw in a new piston!! We have a lot of cross country and enduro riders that are pretty tough on their machines,and they would be going through a lot of resleeving if not for nikasil! Usually the only time we send em out for recoating is after about 3 years HARD racing! Also to compensate for a little wear,slightly larger pistons are available( group 1 is stock,group2 and group 3 oversize slightly) If Polaris's coatings are as tough as KTM, No worries on my end! Good luck</end quote></div>

Thanks OPT. Any idea why they would list an iron bore block?
Possible they will use those as replacements should a block need replacing?

Old 12-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Havent really checked into it! Your guess is as good as mine right now!