Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Mudlites on stock rims and clearance issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mudlites on stock rims and clearance issues

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 600Grizzly

The front has a lot of clearance so it isn't an issue. I just put the spacers on last night and I just got back from a trip so I haven't had a chance to ride it yet. I'm not sure about the backfire because I re adjusted the throttle cable adjuster just before I left for my trip. At the moment it's pissing down and I now have to use my larger trailer to take my quad out which means getting my smaller trailer out of the way. Parking sucks when you live on a hill [IMG][/IMG]

Take care,

Dave</end quote></div>

LOL,I can commensurate..my house is built into the side of a steep hill. The garage is side entry. Down the steep drive and a sharp left hand turn into the garage. I had to have the driveway re-sloped 3 times before I could get my Mustang in the garage without scraping. Parking at an angle with the front wheels turned up slope is habit for us. Mowing is REAL fun,lol. I'm sure the neighbors think I am crazy hanging off the side of my lawn tractor mowing cross slope.

On the backfiring,if the cable adjustment doesn't work you might want to look at the plugs. Robert(teamsos) posted about a problem they heard about from Polaris where 850s are fouling plugs due to starting and shutting down before the machine has warmed up. This can happen on pretty much any machine. But it is probably happening more on the 850s because from what I heard, people were starting them up at dealers and revving them to hear how different the motor sounds on the 850 and then shutting them off. Doing this alot will foul plugs. Maybe this had happened to yours before you got it,while at the dealer? He said one of the problems this is causing is backfires. May or may not be your problem,but definitely worth checking.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Range Rover

Would the plug not clear when you take it out for a good ride. The backfiring happened when the machine was warm. I re adjusted the throttle cable but just haven't had a chance to go riding. I read another post where they said the backfiring on their machine stopped after ten hours and changing to regular gas. I only have 75 miles on mine so far.
Dave

Old 12-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

There are ways to clean them with varying success. Generally just running the crap out of it won't do it,but it really depends on how bad they are. If it isn't too bad just bringing it up to temp will sometimes clean them. If there is carbon build up you are better off just changing them IMO. Plugs are designed to operate at a temp that burns off deposits,but if repeatedly they are not allowed to get up to temp the deposits build up and the plug can't burn them off,so in that case it won't get better from riding it. If you pull them and they look fine,you can put them back in. If they are fouled it should be fairly obvious.
If someones stopped after 10 hours great,but it isn't normal and isn't something that should be considered part of break-in..period. In that persons case it could have been bad fuel and not related to octane level...who knows...
What I am saying is I wouldn't just ride it and hope it goes away. Plugs are a very easy change IMO. If it doesn't go away with the cable adjustment,and taking it to the dealer is a pain I would swap the plugs. If that doesn't work,at least you have a spare set for when they do need changing so you aren't really out anything except your time. And even that isn't lost as then you will know how to get at them so if you ever need to on the trail in the dark or whatever it will be much easier.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: triplggg

Looks good!

I have a couple of questions.

What are the spacers size?

Where did you get them?

And if you don't mind how much?

Whats your width?

TIA.</end quote></div>

I have purchased spacers from www.superatv.com for $80 a pair and up depending on the size. They will negotiate, too!

Old 12-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the heads-up on superatv.I e-mailed them and their going to check on metric studs for the spacers.
Do you think that one inch spacers would be enough?
From Grizz's pictures it looks like it.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Range Rover

Mine are 1 1/4 and that is what they recommended. I thought I would be able to get 3/4 but they would be pretty thin. I would make sure that you used red locktite when you install them so you don't run into any problems out in the back country. It shouldn't cause any problems later because the axle has a single nut to take it out and the spacer could still remain intact.
Take care,
Dave

Old 12-07-2008, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the heads-up on superatv.I e-mailed them and their going to check on metric studs for the spacers.

From Grizz's pictures it looks like it.</end quote></div>

I would say 1" would be plenty. Mine actually touched and I know 1" would have worked fine, but super atv was out of the 1" and being impatient as I am I got the 1.5" from them for the same price.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: firehog

From Grizz's pictures it looks like it.</end quote></div>

I would say 1" would be plenty. Mine actually touched and I know 1" would have worked fine, but super atv was out of the 1" and being impatient as I am I got the 1.5" from them for the same price.</end quote></div>

Been e-mailing Harold at Super atv.He's going to hook me up with one inch spacers with the metric studs.About $90 shipped for the pair.Can't decide on the tires.Looking at the Bighorn 2.I want Terras but they run small.I had them on my 500,nothing but good things to say.I don't think the horns will let me down either!