Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

To much front diff fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To much front diff fluid?

I know this has been talked about ALOT. But I could not find my answer. I recently changed my front diff fluid. I have a 07 800 deluxe. I used the lt fluid(thanks to this forum!!) I filled it untill it came out of the fill hole. the manual says 9.3 ounces. It also shows to fill it to the bottom of the threads for the fill plug. So if I put to much in I figure it can only be .5 ounces or so. Anyway I was plowing last night and if i put it in 2 wheel drive (just to check the operation not to plow) it will sometime kick in to AWD. It did this in forward and reverse. It never did this prior to the fluid change that i noticed. But the only time I really use AWD is in the snow plowing. So this problem could of surfaced this past summer and i didnt realize it as i onlt drive on dry trails. So could my problem be to much fluid? If so did i ruin anything or can I just drain a little fluid? Thanks for your help.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:57 PM
DCT
Banned

I can't believe that a half an ounce extra would cause those problems, but who knows? If it were me, to be sure, I would drain it again and put in exactly what the manual recommends.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

Apparently too much or too little fluid can cause it to act up. Word is to put the EXACT amount called for in the manual. Also rumor says it is even more critical in cold weather. May or may not be your problem but something easy to check.
How do you know it is kicking in, you feel it? Or does the AWD icon come on when it does it? If so that could indicate something electrical,such as a wiring short powering the differential. It also could be electrical without the icon comeing on,but not likely.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:40 PM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

Apparently too much or too little fluid can cause it to act up. Word is to put the EXACT amount called for in the manual. Also rumor says it is even more critical in cold weather. </end quote></div>

Wow, hard to believe that it's that critical. Glad I was precise when I changed the front diff and the CVT fluids.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the book calls for the 5 ozs. it wouldnt surprise at all about the fluid being an issue w/ it overfilled. i was trying to rememebr when i changed mine early if i messagerd it out or went to the boton of the treads.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

I measuered mine out just to be safe, but I would drain and measure out the proper amount

Old 12-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i just wen thru my maint. records and i see that i put 5 oz in the rearend but im guessing since i didnt write it down that i filled the fron to the threads w/out any issue. you can try to drain and refill w/ the 5 ozs and if it still does it it might be the dreaded roller cage is cracked??

Old 12-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

HO- I know it is going to awd because all tires spin. while it is still in 2wd I can hardly go anywhere as we have 2 foot of snow and with the plow up I have no traction because of the weight. Also the awd light does not come on.Stendori It says 9.3 oz in manual. The 5 oz is for non adc. I will drain some fluid out and see if it works. Do they make a syringe or something like it to suck it out of the fill hole? Id rather not put all new fluis in it as I stupidly threw the bottle away with the fluid in it

Old 12-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

if it has a drain hole just put a clean pan under and pull the plug and put it right back in, depending how good you are you will just lose a small amount!!!!

Old 12-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

Just want to give a update. I went and bought another bottle of lt fluid( I WILL SAVE THIS ONE) and changed it again this afternoon. Well HIGHOCTANE was right. You must have to use the EXACT amount of fluid. After this change it is back to working correctly 100% of the time. I am very relieved. Thanks for the help all.

Quick Reply: To much front diff fluid?