Gotta Love Polaris AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 01:04 PM
DCT
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta Love Polaris AWD

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

To me it would seem as if the system was going down the road like that it would be fighting itself causing some gear train issues. That might be why you hear so much drive train slack on the old Sportsmans such as mine!</end quote></div>

I guess you are referring to the difference in the speed of the front wheels to that of the back wheels... correct?

I doubt that the AWD stays locked for any length of time for most folks, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

I can't see the video,but I think I get the jist of the statemnt. The ratio difference between the front and rear isn't enough to break anything. The tires will slip traction,even on asphault. Could it cause slightly accelerated wear to drive train components,possibly if you drove in 4WD on hard surfaces alot. Using 4wd on asphault even with the same ratios is hard on parts.

This does bring up a question though. Has anyone verified that the output for the front prop is the same ratio as the rear? Is it possible that the tranny ratio is different for the front output,making the front and rear the same? I can't really see a good reason to have the rear turn faster than the front..maybe vice versa to keep the rear end in trail(ie in the back where it belongs) And I can't see it being that hard to match raitos

Old 12-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BlueManQuad

XP vs Outlander This vid really shows the difference between the XP and the Canned-Ham</end quote></div>

Tha,tha,that's what it's all about boys!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] OUTSTANDING VIDEO!

That new XP knows how to really kick-it in the a$$! Take home that checkered flag baby![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Well the 4wheel drive system obviously works but common sense would tell you otherwise that someting is just not right with this situation. I know if it were on a regular vehicle like a Jeep there would be major issues LOL!

Old 12-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I find Polaris's AWD, as well as the WEIGHT of the ATV, a REAL asset for plowing snow!

It just pushes deeper and harder than any other ATV out there imo.

And I credit it all to the weight of the quad and fantastic engineering of the AWD system.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mtpockets

I find Polaris's AWD, as well as the WEIGHT of the ATV, a REAL asset for plowing snow!

It just pushes deeper and harder than any other ATV out there imo.

And I credit it all to the weight of the quad and fantastic engineering of the AWD system.</end quote></div>

Agreed that is why I still have mine for that exact pourpose but now I just need to figure a way to put EFI on it to make it better starting/running in the cold weather LOL

Old 12-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

Well the 4wheel drive system obviously works but common sense would tell you otherwise that someting is just not right with this situation. I know if it were on a regular vehicle like a Jeep there would be major issues LOL!</end quote></div>

Dodge..I watched the video..I agree if the wheel speed difference were that much on pavement it woud be very bad! There is no way that is the case.
That got me thinking. I really haven't looked into the front diff operation too much. So I dug out the service manual. I'm still studying it but so far it looks like the front axles are not positivley locked to the ring gear, they are connected by clutch packs and sort of an overrunning clutch assy. The way it is designed is that when on hard pack,or pavement,or anywhere there is enough traction to keep the rear from spinning the gearing is set up to keep the front axles turning faster than the ring gear carrier. The front is geared to turn a little slower than the rear. In otherwards the front axles overrun the the carrier and turn faster than the carrier as they spin the same speed as the rear wheels, and this is what keeps it out of AWD until the rear slips. Once the rear slips the front/pinion/ring gear carrier meets axle speed and engages and locks the front alxes to the ring gear carrier mechanically. No speed sensor or anything like that is used to determine wheel slippage(as I have seen some say) If the front and rear were geared the same it would constantly be in and out of AWD,even on solid ground. So with solid traction the fronts free spin and will not bind on pavement. So you can ride around all the time in 4wd(just like the manual says you can) other than possible wear and tear on the AWD coil. Must be why the Polaris doesn't have the caution about not riding on hard surfaces in 4wd huh?
Anther plus for Polaris AWD in my book...really the credit goes to Hilliard, Polaris is just smart enough to know a great system when they see it.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

Well the 4wheel drive system obviously works but common sense would tell you otherwise that someting is just not right with this situation. I know if it were on a regular vehicle like a Jeep there would be major issues LOL!</end quote></div>

Dodge..I watched the video..I agree if the wheel speed difference were that much on pavement it woud be very bad! There is no way that is the case.

That got me thinking. I really haven't looked into the front diff operation too much. So I dug out the service manual. I'm still studying it but so far it looks like the front axles are not positivley locked to the ring gear, they are connected by clutch packs and sort of an overrunning clutch assy. The way it is designed is that when on hard pack,or pavement,or anywhere there is enough traction to keep the rear from spinning the gearing is set up to keep the front axles turning faster than the ring gear carrier. The front is geared to turn a little slower than the rear. In otherwards the front axles overrun the the carrier and turn faster than the carrier as they spin the same speed as the rear wheels, and this is what keeps it out of AWD until the rear slips. Once the rear slips the front/pinion/ring gear carrier meets axle speed and engages and locks the front alxes to the ring gear carrier mechanically. No speed sensor or anything like that is used to determine wheel slippage(as I have seen some say) If the front and rear were geared the same it would constantly be in and out of AWD,even on solid ground. So with solid traction the fronts free spin and will not bind on pavement. So you can ride around all the time in 4wd(just like the manual says you can) other than possible wear and tear on the AWD coil. Must be why the Polaris doesn't have the caution about not riding on hard surfaces in 4wd huh?

Anther plus for Polaris AWD in my book...really the credit goes to Hilliard, Polaris is just smart enough to know a great system when they see it.</end quote></div>

HIGHOCTANE......
Hey great info.....I never really read up on that that closely....Very interesting.....

John

Old 12-11-2008, 07:23 PM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

In otherwards the front axles overrun the the carrier and turn faster than the carrier as they spin the same speed as the rear wheels, and this is what keeps it out of AWD until the rear slips. Once the rear slips the front/pinion/ring gear carrier meets axle speed and engages and locks the front alxes to the ring gear carrier mechanically.</end quote></div>

Excellent info, and it makes perfect sense. Seems very simple... but works great.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

That is the watered down version,but that's the jist of how it works. It is simple,but not simple at the same time. If that makes sense. It takes awhile to wrap your head around it looking at the diagrams. Pretty ingenous system really.
But now we know why the front gears are a different ratio than the rear..I had wondered just never took the time to find out.

Quick Reply: Gotta Love Polaris AWD