Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Gotta Love Polaris AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta Love Polaris AWD

I had a Polaris Sportsman 700 before I bought my Grizzly 700 and while I like the system on the Grizzly fine, I really also liked the AWD on my Polaris, like Highoctane, I ride over a lot of trees. I knew all about the claims of the AWD system when I bought the Polaris, but was somewhat skeptical. I purposely went up to big trees and tried to detect the "wheel slip" needed to engage the front wheels and I never could. I just gave it a little gas and it climbed right up over it like my Grizzly does in 4 wheel lock. I also felt more comfortable engaging AWD at speed than I am with my Grizzly, so I slow down. I am an old fashioned guy who likes to manually engage stuff and have a little bit of distrust for the "automatic" engagement of things and of visco locking systems, but that is just my personality and I sure can't say one system is "better" than the other; just get what you like and fits your needs. I rarely need the traction of all four wheels, so it is not as big of an issue for me as others.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE
I haven't watched the vid,but I climb over fairly large downed trees all the time. These trees are large enough that if you pull upto them in 2wd it will just try to push the tree most times. Looking at the way the system works you would think that the fronts would not pull up on to the tree without the rear spinning,but IMO they do! However much it takes (1/5 is what I keep seeing people post,but the manual makes no reference to it,I don't think that is accurate) it isn't enough to be detectable IMO. I have pulled up to downed trees and stopped with the fronts touching the tree,then just eased right over with no need to give it excess throttle and "make the rears spin". It doesn't just bulldoze the fronts against the obstacle(as it does in 2wd) until the front kicks in and all of a sudden jump over. In other situations I've crossed logs at an angle in 2wd and it would try to throw the machine ans cause it to ski down the log,hit the switch an turn into the log and it immediately goes in the direction YOU want to go.

Like I said I don't know what the guy in the video is doing,but I have tested the systems ability to cross obstacles,and it does not require excessive throttle, like you would think, to engage the front. It is very controllable. If I can get someone to video it this weekend I'll show you.</end quote></div>

I agree to the above 100%. A little long-written(LOL![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]) but 100% correct!

Old 12-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

I hear you tripleR on manually locking things...I am that way too.
Unfortunately neither the Polaris or the Grizz is truly manual.
IMO both systems work better than the push button crap on most trucks now days..most,if not all, of them require you to hold your mouth just right and be savvy to get them in and out of Low Range.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>[i]Originally posted by: mtpockets

I agree to the above 100%. A little long-written(LOL![IMG][/IMG]) but 100% correct!</end quote></div>

Yeah..I have a problem with explaining any thing with less than 500 words..
I am a Marine(USMC,not mariner) instructor and tend to be in the habit of reinforcing my point,lol.
Sorry,it is a habit.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, you are right about that I suppose, pushing a button on my handle bar isn't exactly "manual". I am pretty old so I go back to "lock-out hubs" and switching into and out of 4WD with a lever in the floor. I do like my A/C Case tractor with air filtration, but I do not like the array of buttons for 4WD, 4WD on demand, power lift, high range; give me a bunch of levers and such so I can tell when it is engaged like on my old tractor.

Don't feel bad about the length, one of the judges I use to work with use to turn to me in open court and after reading one of my sentencing reports and say, damn, how many typewriter ribbons did you wear out on this one." Brevity is not one of my strengths.

And thanks for your service to our country.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah,manual locking hubs and a transfer case sifter in the floor..I'll take that any day.

I may get some of it from writing arrest warrants too..lol
Yeah,I'm a jack of all trades. Former Police Officer.
I never had one denied..probably because the Judge got tired of reading and said the hell with it,lol

Old 12-12-2008, 06:16 PM
DCT
Banned

I am a Marine(USMC,not mariner) instructor and tend to be in the habit of reinforcing my point,lol.

</end quote></div>

That's affirmative Gunny! LOL

Old 12-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

</end quote></div>

That's affirmative Gunny! LOL</end quote></div>

LOL...you know the deal.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:03 PM
DCT
Banned

Yep, once you get that second "rocker", you tend to get long winded and very LOUD! LOL LOL

Seriously, that was excellent information HO!

Old 12-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

Yes I am long winded. Repetition engraves things into the memory. I leave most of the yelling to the Sgts, I'm more like Dad than anything. Unless they are really hard headed. If I'm yellling at someone they are having a REAL bad day.
At least that is how I see it in my world,lol.

Quick Reply: Gotta Love Polaris AWD