Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

425 might be seized please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 01:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 425 might be seized please help

Ok, so first of all, the exhaust cam lobes were completely word off, so the quad would hardly run when i first got it.
So i replaced the cam and rockers. It went smoothly, and everything was installed right. Because of the shavings in the oil, I pulled the screen off of the oil tank and cleaned that. I also drained the oil from the bottom of the engine.

Let me just say that I have worked on a lot of Honda's, but this was my first Polaris. I quickly glanced at the oil change kit instructions and it just said to fill the tank with 1.9 quarts. So that is what i did....

I started the bike, figuring id let it idle for a little while to get the oil moving back up to the head etc. It started and ran perfect for about 5-10 seconds (NO EXAGGERATION) then it just stalled. I went to start it and the engine was completely locked up. I managed to get a quarter of a turn out of it before it wouldn't move anymore.

Later i looked at the instructions again, and it said to see manual for instructions on how to change lower engine oil. I guess i just figured if i filled the reservoir with the amount provided in the kit it must drain into the engine through gravity or suction since i didn't see a filler for the crankcase.....Was i wrong?

My question is, could it have possibly seized in 10 seconds???? It cant imagine anything even getting hot enough? If i did seize it, is there any chance i could free it up? And finally, how do you get oil into the crankcase if i didn't do it right? And if its not siezed what could it be, i checked the valve train/pulled the rockers off and it still wouldn't turn.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take the belt off to be sure the engine is locked up and not the tranny or clutches

Old 12-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I took the converter cover off. Moving it by hand i got the engine to free up. Now i just need to know how to get oil back into the crank case. There is a bolt on the pull start cover, would that be it?

Old 12-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that bolt is the timing peep hole. might to a search on these forums about changing oil. im not sure if the procedure is the same for your motor but some of them have to pinch a line to bleed the system and when they stop pinching the line you can hear a rush of air from it. never had one of these motors so i may be wrong. but its atleast a place to start

Old 12-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Trailblazer

If it is a 425 expedition it takes 5L of 0w40 synthetic. This as far as I know it is the only Polaris engine with this large capacity. I don't think it would be siezed in that short a time frame but the 425 expedition comes with clutch not a belt. This may have locked open causing the engine to appear seized. Try lifting the bike off the ground and see if it is more free.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

oh sorry i forgot to mention that its a 95 magnum. I determined that it was the cam binding. I used assembly lube, so i don't know why it seized up, but it did. I managed to get it moving again. I think it might be because there were some slight groves in the bearing surfaces in the head. I think it had to to mate to those groves. Not saying that this is a good thing, but at least its spinning free again.

Now i just have to figure out how to get the oil back into the engine.