Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clutches burnt

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutches burnt

I put a set of oversized tires on my wife's Scambler 500. After a few hours of messing around, it was obviously having issues. I stopped riding to check it out and noticed that the clutch cover was melting onto the clutches.

My questions are two:
1. Will oversize tires cause to much drag on the Scrambler clutches, being that it doesn't have a low gear in the transmission?
2. The tires that were sold to me are matched in diameter front to back, will the front wheels "slip" or "bind" on their electric lockup clutches?

The dealer is conceding that their sales guy sold me the wrong tires, but are saying that it should slip the front clutches (in the wheels) and not bind. I am having trouble imagining whether this is the case. All I know is that I need a new clutch cover, belt and tires, and non of this is cheap.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clutches burnt

You need a clutch kit too before you ride it again.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Clutches burnt

What electric clutches? Nothing involving the clutches is electric.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Clutches burnt

10/4 on the dealer screwed you by putting the wrong same size tires on,how bad he did that depends on how too tall he sold you.............

Old 12-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Range Rover
Default Clutches burnt

first off we need to know what size tires the dealed sold you.
then some math will be involved to see if the tire sizes will work with the scrambler gearing.
i just went through this with my 2000 trail boss, it was 2x4 and i changed it over to 4x4 and had to change some gears in the tranny to match the rear sprocket gearing.
you could also look on ebay for a tranny from a xplorer that has hi and low....

Old 12-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default Clutches burnt

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: big_kid

first off we need to know what size tires the dealed sold you.

then some math will be involved to see if the tire sizes will work with the scrambler gearing.

i just went through this with my 2000 trail boss, it was 2x4 and i changed it over to 4x4 and had to change some gears in the tranny to match the rear sprocket gearing.

you could also look on ebay for a tranny from a xplorer that has hi and low....</end quote></div>

I've thought of buying the trans, but funds are short right now, and Christmas is knocking the crap outta the bank account. Plus I just dumped a grand into my snowmobile. I'll check on the tire size and report back. I asked once before if anyone knew the process to determine the gear sizes, but you are the first to mention that you n=knew what you were doing.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clutches burnt

sounds like the button sin the secondary are going to be junk as well if they got that hot. oversize tires would make the bike work alot harder at slower speeds so the clutches as well would be over heating. imo.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutches burnt

The belt cover melting is probably from a stopped up vent tube.Tires shouldnt cause it to get that hot.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:49 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clutches burnt

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Koerbs

What electric clutches? Nothing involving the clutches is electric.</end quote></div>

I can only guess that he was talking about the front end locking in. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

The stock front tires are taller than the rears so aftermarket tires would also need a taller front to keep the ratio right.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:31 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clutches burnt

there have been a few post about differnt size tires that dont match and i beleave it was detremined that the mis match tires didnt matter to the polaris front end. not 100 % sure but i beleave thats true. it would be prety hard to block off the cover vent being how big it is but ftwflh is right if its not getting air it had no way off cooling it self. going slow alot at low idle or throttle makes these get hooter then they should be.

Quick Reply: Clutches burnt