Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HMF Swamp Series XL Exhaust for the XP

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: scrambler400enoge

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: rancher55

Sounds good HO !

It kind of reminds me of the way the old Dodge 383 or 440 motors sounded, you have that deep throaty sound at idle and then when you goose it, it has that rap rap rap sound!<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>

Thats what it reminded me of.The idle up to the mid range of rpms though reminded me of a harley.</end quote></div>

Yes...sitting still bliping the throttle it does sound like a Harley. Once you put it in gear and drive it doesn't IMO. I generalized the WOT sound when you nail it as a souped muscle car doing a burn out,because most big V8s with radical cams and high flow exhaust, revving under load at 6k rpm is hard to distinguish from another really..they all sound mean as H3ll! The one part where I first pull off and goose it a little definitey has the old Dodge sound though.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Snedd800

H.O. That sounded awesome...loud pipes save lives. Did you put the EFI controller on it? I have been looking around for one for the 800..I haven't noticed any for the 850. Polaris runs a bit rich anyways I guess. Sounds good brother.</end quote></div>

The controller is still a few weeks out. I intend to read the plugs as soon as the weather allows me to make another blast on it. But, yes it does run a little rich stock...even with the pipe you can get to puff a little black smoke working the throttle sitting still.</end quote></div>

I forgot to update this. I read the plugs. With the exhaust, K&N air filter and the airbox hood removed it was a little lean for my liking. I put the hood back on and the stock filter in and it is better..but I think to be safe you need the controller or at least check the air fuel ratio with a wideband sensor.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Range Rover

HO. Do you think I could run my K&N on my stock machine with no problems?

Old 12-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Range Rover

That does sound rather mean.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: triplggg

HO. Do you think I could run my K&N on my stock machine with no problems?</end quote></div>

Yes,I ran a K&N with the airbox "hood" removed and the plugs looked perfect.
I didn't feel any difference with the K&N added,but I did with the hood removed. I think that is as restrictive as the stock filter. But if you ride in water or aren't looking for a little more thottle response leave it in.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 600Grizzly

That does sound rather mean.</end quote></div>

I think it needs a clutch kit to realize the added power when accelerating,it doesn't seem to be upshifting fast enough when you nail it from a slow roll. It hits 7000+ rpm before I get to 40 and the motor doesn't even seem like it is straining. Like the tires are spinning or the belt is slipping(but it isn't).

Old 12-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Range Rover

Thanks,I'm going to keep the "hood" in for now.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:42 PM
DCT
Banned

HO,

Just curious... are you thinking about a performance controller (when they come out) too? If so, I'm sure you will wait on the clutching changes until you have all the performance mods done.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

HO,

Just curious... are you thinking about a performance controller (when they come out) too? If so, I'm sure you will wait on the clutching changes until you have all the performance mods done.</end quote></div>

Unfotunately If I want to keep the exhaust,and run a higher flowing intake setup I think the controller is going to be a must.
That is all I plan to do performance wise. On the clutching,I still don't know yet..I've got some research to do..but yes I want the clutching to be set up for all the performance mods. I have a feeling it will be alot of trial and error with the XP being so new. If I do decide to mess with it soon hopefully one of the aftermarket compaines can get me in the ball park though. I doubt anyone,other than Rath maybe,has done any testing on a power modded XP.
But I'm in no hurry really. Like I said I rarely ride full tilt,so I can wait and hopefully someone will do the testing for me. It would be nice to have the clutching perfect,for times when I do want to play, but for now it works fine for 99% of my riding.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Trailblazer

H.O. I was going to say something about the HMF Optimizer , but Dave beat me to it...that might be some of the mid power problems. I know my brother runs HMF on his Can am, they told him he basically had to get the controller. He always ran the slip on exhaust with the controller so I can't say it runs better with or without it. The couple times I rode it, it felt solid through out the power band. You check your plugs since you put the pipe on? She might be running a bit lean.

Quick Reply: HMF Swamp Series XL Exhaust for the XP