Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HMF Swamp Series XL Exhaust for the XP

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HMF Swamp Series XL Exhaust for the XP

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Snedd800

You check your plugs since you put the pipe on? She might be running a bit lean.</end quote></div>

Yes,and it was running a tad lean with the intake mods..so I put the intake back to stock and it's better,not perfect,so yes the optimizer is in order.
The flat midrange isn't the engine...it is the clutching. The engine seems to blow through the clutch,it doesn't upshift fast enough to keep the motor from revvving too high and getting out of it's efficiency range IMO.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

How much do these HMF exhausts go for?

Regards,

R'

Old 12-27-2008, 12:41 AM
Trailblazer

R, HMF has a good web site, retail I think 850xp pipe--slip on was 350-400 $. I noticed you have 08 800. HMF makes a pipe for just about everything, but that. They had a pipe for the RZR last year, that was about it for the Polaris, then they put the pipe out for the 850. There are not too many choices for the 800 from what I found on the internet. Aaen seemed like the best choice for me out of the few I looked at. They have a decent web site too, AaenPerformance.com. They have some clutch kits too, I was looking at that stuff today with the issues H.O. was having. Aaen does not have anything on the web site about the 850 yet, I would say give them a call and see if they had any time lines for it.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Snedd800 -

I would think though that we could run
any aftermarket part slip on that is made
for the 06-08'? Did they carry those year
models? Thx for all the good info.

Regards,

R'

Old 12-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

The only Sportsman they make anything for is the XP...
https://hmfengineering.com/shop.php?...ry_id=9&page=2

Old 12-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Trailblazer

R, not sure about the older stuff fitting the 08. I wanted the Muzzy dual system, they had pipes for the 06 and 07. I called them about the 07 pipe fitting the 08 and they said they didn't have a chance to fit the 08. They said the 08 pipe was still in production? that was in July..so who knows. You would think the pipes would be the same for the thing, it hasn't changed much from the 06. But if the mounting bolts are just a little off the aftermarket pipe will not fit. You could probably do a little custom rigging on the pipe to get it too fit i guess. I didn't want to drop 350 bones on something I wasn't sure was going to fit. If you find something you like but it's not made for the 08 call and see if it will fit. The worst they can say is no.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Trailblazer

...and when I orded my pipe from Aaen, they asked me a couple times if it was the 08, they wanted to be sure. Actually, I think the 08 had a different part number than the other year models. It's different, not sure if it's the mounting positions or something to do with the motor and the efi settings and back pressure and what not, but it's different.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It sounds like you will get noticed! LOL! Those pipes are loud.

If there's no increase in power, did you add them for their good looks and loud noise?

Personally, I think the ideal ATV would be one with BIG power, BIG mpg, and makes LITTLE noise.

I like the old quote: "Speaks softly but carries a big stick."

The pipes do look sweet! Is that brushed aluminum?

Old 12-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mtpockets

It sounds like you will get noticed! LOL! Those pipes are loud.

If there's no increase in power, did you add them for their good looks and loud noise?

Personally, I think the ideal ATV would be one with BIG power, BIG mpg, and makes LITTLE noise.

I like the old quote: "Speaks softly but carries a big stick."

The pipes do look sweet! Is that brushed aluminum?</end quote></div>

I did do it for the power, who said there was no power increase? There is and I think it is enough to affect clutching..under extended WOT starting at low speeds in high the motor revs like it isn't even straining. But the clutches don't seem to upshift fast enough to adequately load the engine to realize the new found power as far as 0-?? accelleration. If you nail if from say 30mph you can feel the power increase.
I agree though quieter is better,but it's hard to gain any power with exhaust without some increase in noise level. Yes the perfect pipe would be one that would flow more freely but still sound stock....so far I have yet to see such an animal.

Not sure what it is made of actually,if I had to guess I'd say stainless steel.
Just checked it-adapter pipe attracts a magnet,the muffler shell doesn't. It is hard stuff,not sure what grade,but it looks and feels like stainless steel.
So it is either high grade stainless(nickel) or alum alloy.