Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Plowing with syn. rope

Old 12-22-2008, 01:47 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plowing with syn. rope

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]Plowed about 16" snow over the weekend in northern Mn. about -9/-28 windchill. Cold but still fun! Anyways, I have 50 ft. of the gray syn. rope with the black rockguard. Rockstomper.com claims the guard will roll in smooth and flat on the drum but mine has always "bunched up" while winding in. While plowing, it got so damn bunched up it would'nt roll out anymore. It was all frozen and stiff on the drum so I used a blowtorch to thaw it out but still had a tough time to freespool it back out. Took the guard off then rolled it up tight and straight. Works better than it ever has before! More of a PITA than its worth for how I use my winch. Anyone else have this problem or opinions?? Thanks for replies

Old 12-22-2008, 04:10 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In another thread some people said they had a lot of trouble with the rock guard. I thought if you could wind part of it in and it catches then you'd be okay as long as you don't let the rope out very far. But if if it's that big a pain I would take it off too. So far I still have steel cable because that's what the dealer had in stock when I bought the quad.

It sucks when you have to break out the torch. I had to use mine on my padlock because it froze. When it finally opened it fell in the snow. Of course by then it was so hot the snow melted and water ran into the lock so it will freeze again. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

Yea that rope protector was a PITA....It never rolled in when I used mine......I've since switched over to a shorter section which works better for plowing...If you're using a 50' section you might find that the rope starts to get "sucked" in towards the center of the drum...The shorter section solves that problem..

John

Old 12-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] Ya I thought about using a short piece of either rope or cable just for plowing but thats a PITA to switch back and forth too. I don't get to use my plow as much as I used too nowdays so I'll just stick it out for now. Thanks guys for the replies.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Range Rover

Just free spool the rope past the lenght of the Rock guard and winch it in so it doesn't come into play.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

In another thread some people said they had a lot of trouble with the rock guard. I thought if you could wind part of it in and it catches then you'd be okay as long as you don't let the rope out very far. But if if it's that big a pain I would take it off too. So far I still have steel cable because that's what the dealer had in stock when I bought the quad.

It sucks when you have to break out the torch. I had to use mine on my padlock because it froze. When it finally opened it fell in the snow. Of course by then it was so hot the snow melted and water ran into the lock so it will freeze again. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

whats a rock gaurd....?

Old 12-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Range Rover

Just a sleeve thats goes over the syn. rope.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

i gotta say i thought synthetic is what i was gonna want for plowing.. but i cant complain.. outside of having a little to much line... it hasnt gave me any problems yet...

Old 12-22-2008, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

So do all you guys like your sun. ropes? I just ordered an XT15 for my Ozark 250 and am hoping it will work well.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:09 AM
Trailblazer

I absolutely love my syn rope it's been much better than the steel and since i only really use the winch in the winter for plowing i take the 50 ft syn rope off and put the short 10 ft plowing syn rope on. It works great and extends the life of the long rope.