Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Xplorer VS other Polaris quads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2001 | 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Snowshark~
That is an EXCELLENT price for a new Explorer! I have recorded as high as 24 mpg after a tankful of steady 30-35 mph cruising. Very good machine for the price!

Old 02-13-2001 | 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

Wiscrambler & Thor,

thanks for the info. I am really looking hard at the Xplorer. It might not ride as nice as the Sportsman but then again its not quiet as heavy either. 24 MPG while cruising is excellent, my Rancher get about the same.

Old 02-13-2001 | 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

Mine gets about 18 MPG general riding, with trails & such, but will get a little over 30 on dirt roads & open trails, the kind where you cruise along in High @ 40 MPH.

For about half trial riding and half open road riding, I can expect to go between 800 and 900 miles on a gallon of oil, a little less if I go mudding or snowriding (gas mileage also will drop to about 12 to 15 under these conditions).

Sounds like a good price, mine was $4900, and I got it almost 2 years ago!!! Do the new ones include the speedo/odo/hourmeter stock?? If not, they are a handy thing to have.

When I got mine, the dealer told me 3 things ruin more 400 engines than anything else (the ones they see anyway). Here they are:
1. using the wrong oil...Polaris injection oil reacts badly when mixed with non-compatible oil, filling the injection tank with thick goo that will not pump to the engine, siezing it - he said to either use Polaris oil or be SURE it is compatible.

2. not cleaning the air cleaner. 2 cycles take twice the air of a comparable size 4 cycle, and are less tolerant of dirt. Keep the filter clean

3. Jetting. It will seem to run a little rich or 'fat' in warm weather. This is normal, and actually good for the engine. If you re-jet for optimum performance, then take it out some cold day, it will be running too lean, and can sieze.

If you notice, these are either due to neglect or improper wrenching. The engines themselves are put together quite well (I have seen a few with over 10,000 mostly road miles before overhaul), but require some common sense on the part of the owner.
If you get one, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.