Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Xplorer VS other Polaris quads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2001 | 12:27 AM
|
Pro Rider

Could you guys give me an idea of how the Xplorer 400 compares performance-wise compared to any other Polaris quads that you ride with?

I'm thinking about a new quad, and the Xplorer is pretty tempting, being affordable, fairly light-weight, and (I hope) powerful.

Also, I have a Wolverine, so any comparisons to that quad would be helpful too.

Old 02-06-2001 | 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

The xplorer is faster than any utility quad i have ever rode with. Next thing fastest would be the yamaha grizzly. It is a great machine for trailriding. You can ride it like a sport bike. The handling is awesome. Throttle response is incredible. It is extremely easy to maintain. Costs less to rebuild because it's a two stroke. It rides really smooth. Great bike in the mud. It really throws the mud off the tires. It's a great climbing machine. It can build up wheel speed quickly to get you up the hill fast. The only thing that I wished it had was the sportsman rear suspension. That suspension is the best i have seen. You always have power on the ground like for rock climbing. It is a very good machine to own. Very fun to drive.

Old 02-06-2001 | 01:13 AM
|
Pro Rider

I noticed that you changed the sproket size on your Xplorer. I had been wonder if that was possible with a Polaris 4wd because of the different engagement system for the front wheels. With any other 4wd you could never change the gearing to the back wheels only. You haven't had any problems with this? Has anyonr else done that with a chain driven Polaris?

Old 02-06-2001 | 03:13 AM
Pro Rider

Well I can't say how it would compare to other machines cause I bought my machine( see below) about 2 WKs before Xmas. But I can tell you it is one awesome machine. I can climb up & over practicaly anything that I can possibly do with-out needing a winch or chainsaw ( haven't used either yet). Where I live it's pretty rocky with lots of up up up or down down down. I can haul quite a bit on it, (just finish building a canoe rack for it), gone fishing!!! There's a couple minor bugs I still have too take care of, but otherwise it has been a faithful machine.

Old 02-06-2001 | 10:13 AM
Range Rover

I think the Xplorer is a great machine. Faster than a Wolverine, but also heavier. But I'm pretty sure the Xplorer will go through more stuff. It is a lot sportier being able to shift into 2 wheel drive too! Are you a member of the ATV Club up there in Garson?

Old 02-06-2001 | 10:19 AM
Range Rover

The Explorer 400 is the fastest, highest hp sport/utility made . It has 38 hp. This is more hp than the sportsman 500 or the Grizz 600 ( not more torque however) Top speed is 60-63 stock. There many mods out there that can add a lot more power. They make pipes for the Explorer that add up to 9 hp. The Explorer 400 is the only auto 4x4 utility I know of that will fly the front end with a stab of the gas.
It boasts almost twice the hp of the Wolverine and is liquid cooled as well .

Old 02-06-2001 | 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

Which atv club in Garson? Have not heard of one.Do you know of it?

Old 02-06-2001 | 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

I own an Xplorer and my brother in law has both a 500 Magnum and Sportsman(non HO). Here is how they compare.
The Xplorer vs. Magnum:
The Magnum is basically an all-shaft drive 4 cycle version of the Xplorer. To sum it up the Xplorer is about 50 pounds lighter, has a higher HP faster revving engine, giving better power to weight ratio, faster acceleration, and higher top speed. Also, the concentric drive on the Xplorer allows for longer rear wheel travel than the shaft drive swingarm suspension of the Magnum. The ride is comparable most of the time, but on really BIG bumps the lighter weight and longer rear legs of the Xplorer seem to make them easier to absorb. In my mind, an HO Magnum would be the perfect replacement for when the Xplorer gets discontinued ('02, according to rumor) due to 2 cycle emissions. The extra power of the HO would hopefully offset the advantage of the 2 cycle and perhaps the extra weight. Trail riding both you have trouble figuring out which one you are on, except for the engine noise. The difference is apparent if you peg the throttle, though. Xplorer definately more peppy. Rear end swings around much easier. Balance, handling, and trail manners are very similar otherwise. Also, the deeper suspension of the Xplorer gets its 'belly' a little higher, making it harder to hang up. Not a lot, but just enough to tell.
Xplorer vs. Sportsman: Engine/performance - all the same differences as with the Magnum (remember his is a non-HO) Ride - Sportsman all the way. Ground clearance - again to Sportsman. Trail manners/handling - Sportsman up to the point of crazy. Meaning on 'normal' trail riding, I prefer the SP (more comfy). Spirited trail riding/informal racing - Xplorer. Better power, and about 100 pounds less weight translate to better sport handling.
I never went through deep mud or snow with either of his machines, although I do think the Xp would better the Mag in either due to slightly more clearance, and better wheel speed. The Sp may have enough extra clearance to overcome its greater weight and slower wheelspeed. The HO may only have to overcome more weight.
Hope I wasn't too long winded

PS the 400 Xplorer will definately outrun the 325 Mag and the Diesel lol

Old 02-06-2001 | 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

You guys have a ATV riding club in Garson! That would be cool to ride with more and different people.Here I ride with a guy with a Lakota,Kodiak,250 Moto4 and sometimes a Rancher,It,s a rag tag group let me tell ya.LOL

Old 02-06-2001 | 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

That speed cant be right, because according to Wiscramblr, his scrambler only does 55.

Quick Reply: Xplorer VS other Polaris quads?