Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400 electrical ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 12:07 PM
meh
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 electrical ?

I just rebuilt a 95 400 explorer, that I found and it runs great besides some electical problem I can not quite find. When it is in high and has warmed up the motor cuts in and out like you are turning the key on and off?? Any sugestions, do the CDI units go bad on these or should I be looking elsewere?

Old 12-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 400 electrical ?

Unplug the black wire that comes off the Reverse limiter and see if that helps.This box can cause multiple problems.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:58 PM
meh
Weekend Warrior
Default 400 electrical ?

I tried disconnecting the reverse limitor and it is still having problems and some additional weird problems.

As I had before when the engine is warm it cuts out for 1/2 sec time to time like if you would flip the key on and off, if you let up on the gas sometimes it will recover or it will shut down. If it shuts off it will fire right back up but this condition will remain????
In adddition now I was reving the engine and all of a sudden it ramped itself up on RPM (throttle did not move) and would not shut of via key or kill switch - I had to shut off the gas line to kill it. After this I fired right back up and it was OK besides the cut out problem. This has happened twice now.

Anyway I have went over everthing I can and now am looking at one of the things I don't know anything about the CDI modul - for one I'm not really sure what this does and second I have no way to know if this is bad. If I get one am I just tossing $100+ at something I have know idea about?? What does a CDI problem look like what do these things do??

Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks

Old 12-31-2008, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400 electrical ?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: meh

I tried disconnecting the reverse limitor and it is still having problems and some additional weird problems.

As I had before when the engine is warm it cuts out for 1/2 sec time to time like if you would flip the key on and off, if you let up on the gas sometimes it will recover or it will shut down. If it shuts off it will fire right back up but this condition will remain????

In adddition now I was reving the engine and all of a sudden it ramped itself up on RPM (throttle did not move) and would not shut of via key or kill switch - I had to shut off the gas line to kill it. After this I fired right back up and it was OK besides the cut out problem. This has happened twice now.

Anyway I have went over everthing I can and now am looking at one of the things I don't know anything about the CDI modul - for one I'm not really sure what this does and second I have no way to know if this is bad. If I get one am I just tossing $100+ at something I have know idea about?? What does a CDI problem look like what do these things do??

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks</end quote></div>

If you would like to try one I have one(98% sure I have one) If it doesn't work, ship it back and I'll refund your money.

When you said it would not shut off made me think maybe the key switch is bad, or the cdi could be bad also. I've seen them do strange things. Try this first though. Remove the black wire from the cdi and see if it changes. The black wire is the "kill" wire. If it runs ok after doing that, there is a posiibility the cdi is actually bad. It could be other things as well, but at least you might be able to rule out the cdi.
Let me know if you want the one I have. I gutted a 98 Xplorer that was run out of oil. I kept all the electrical parts(some are sold but I have the cdi still, 98% sure)

Happy new year

Old 12-31-2008, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 400 electrical ?

your coil could also be going out. if you have a manual you can use it to get the resistance specs and try to ohm it out. try changing yoru spark plug just ot rule it out.
the run away motor is probably an air leak. it will pull air in and in turn try to pull more fuel. happends very easily on 2 stroke motors.