Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

starter gear is retreating

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter gear is retreating

Hi
I own polaris xplorer 400 1995, I had the starter and bendix replaced with new aftermarket ones.
when I push the start switch , the starter gear go out ,spin and move the fly wheel for half a second, then the starter gear retrives and continiue to spin without the fly wheel, when I stop and press the start switch again it does the same.

Does anyone have a clue what can cause this>?

Thanks

Ron

Old 12-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Premature disengagement usually means that the starter drive is bad.
Does the starter make bad grinding noises after it has disengaged the flywheel while You are still holding it in start mode or does it just freespin?
Before the drive disengages the flywheel does the engine fire and cause the drive to disengage?
I would begin by checking to make sure the starter mounting bolts are tight.
If the starter mounting bolts are tight then I would try another new drive unit on the starter as I have run into new drive units that are bad.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi
Thanks for your help.
The starter freespin after disangage , the engine does not fire, there are not grinding or any ather not normal noise.
The bolts are tightI will try ather drive unit as you sugested

Thanks
Ron
ie

Old 12-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

try charging the battery,mine will always do exactly that when the batt is low.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

Another thought on this problem is it could be the solenoid.
There are 2 sets of windings in a starter solenoid.
The first set of windings is called the pull in windings,meaning that they pull the starter drive into the flywheel when You press the switch.
The 2nd set of windings is called the hold in windings meaning they will hold the drive into the flywheel once voltage is applied to the starter motor through the solenoid.
If the pull in windings are functioning properly then the starter will engage the flywheel when voltage is applied through the start circuit.IF the hold in windings are bad then it can cause the drive to disengage the flywheel and it may or may not turn the engine over.If it does turn the engine over before disengaging I would think it would be for just one very short burst maby like a second or less.
You might check with a local Polaris service person or a Polaris Mechanic to see if they have had any similar problems and what the remedy was/is.
I sure would`nt want to steer someone into buying one part when it is the other part causing the grief.
Also check the voltage in Your battery with a voltmeter,If You have access to a battery tester then check it with one of those too.make sure the battery is in good shape and fully charged.It should be around 12.5 volts.Overnight or for 24 hours on a 2 amp trickle charger is the best way to charge a battery if it is low.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

above post is irrelevant to your machine. there is not solenoid for the starter drive. the drive is spring loaded. when it gets enough spin it will kick into the flywheel. when the flywheel start spinning faster than what the starter is spinning the gear it kicks it out. if your battery is too weak then it can not keep the starter spinning at the right speed to keep the drive kicked out. put a ohm meter on the battery and read the voltage. then turn the key on and read the voltage. then try to start the machine and while starter is spinning read the voltage. should only have about a 3v drop when the starter is engaged. if it drops more than that try charging the battery on a slow charge

Old 12-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

I guess that will teach Me to try and relate something from the automobile industry to a whole new to Me world.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Thank You for correcting Me in these matters.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Well at least You get a good theory of operation on how a starting system of an automobile works.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-29-2008, 04:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi
Im going to charge the battery and check it out.
I hope it is not a charging problem...

I wil update tommorow.

Thanks
Ron

Old 01-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi
I charge the battery over night.
I checked the voltage on the battery, it was 12.5V, I pushed the start switch while the engine "run" switch is off so the engine would not fire, it gave 3 seconds good spin with the fly wheel, then the starter gear retreat again,
I conclusion is that it is a battery/ charging issue.
I will try replace the battery and check agian.

BTW
I checked the battery voltage, it was 12.5V, when I push the start switch it go to 10.5 for a few sec ( while fly wheel spin) then it go to 11.5V while starter gear retreat .

Old 01-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replyback.The parts house such as NAPA etc. should have a battery tester.I would have them test the battery.
Please let us know what the outcome is.

Quick Reply: starter gear is retreating