Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Cheating a Warranty(chain breaking)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2001, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it to your dealer. If they offer good service they should cover it under warrenty. My dealer checked and changed everything they could under warrenty, which included chain, hub seals and lower steering bushing. My chain was so stretched that I could not adjust it anymore. The grease zerk on the rear axle was no longer accessible. That is the best way to keep customers coming back to spend on ther goodies.

Old 02-06-2001, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you do what you said to tighten it up your in for a world of hurt and its not your
body but your wallet there buddy. What happensd to a chain on a polaris when you
break it while riding?????????? Well ill tell ya ive seen many but yet never expericen
it knocking on wood. Well here what happens you know that thing you call a tranny
well youll call it a funnel after you break your chain because you will have a huge
hole in the case then you will be replacing your cases for a 100 dollar chain thats silly
in my book. I f you can afford a quad and afford to ride and play hard then be
prepared to pay if you play if not then i suggest to sell the quad and get yourself a
bicycle.

Old 02-06-2001, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Dominator,

A chain is pretty expensive, it cost me $75 for a new Polaris chain for a T Blazer.

Old 02-07-2001, 02:25 PM
Range Rover

listen it's simple. tell them this. You were riding in the snow the chain snapped and fell off and now you can't find it. Be a little mad that you had to be towed in by one of your friends.

Old 02-07-2001, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

Your chain is supposed to stretch a few months after it is new. It's natural. Thats why your trailblazer has a place for an adjustment. Just tighten up the slack. If it is within correct adjustment and breaks then you're covered by warranty. Now, if your chain has stretched beyond any adjustment how are you riding your machine? Overly aggressive? Never cheat.

Old 02-07-2001, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Polaris covered my chain,and BOTH sprockets under warrenty.I told them about all my chain adjustments and tight spots and they started out changing the concentric drive unit,than the front sprocket was worn,so I told them that they needed to honor the 1yr warrenty and get me a new chain/sprockets,they did,and I've only adjusted the chain once in about 300 miles,
Bill

Old 02-08-2001, 08:55 AM
Trailblazer

When adjusting a chain it must be done from the tight spot NOT a “happy medium” spot. If the chain is adjusted at any point other then its tightest it will just stretch the weakest point “more” when it comes to it. Believe me I have experienced that. Besides my HO I have a 2000 Scrambler that has a rear chain I keep a close eye on, and has held up well. I learned all about chain stretch from my GSX 1100 Suzuki built by Paul (Fast BY) Gast, Grand Island, NY. The chain starts to stretch as soon as the key goes in it!

Mark

Old 02-09-2001, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

My wife has a 98 Sport 400 and the chain has stretched a bit.

How do I tighten it?

Any directions or advise would be appreciated!

Old 02-09-2001, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

rob

Chain adjustment is pretty easy. I am not sure if your machine has concentric drive, if it does, skip step one.

1. Take a ratchet strap and connect the rear grab bar and the swing arm. Tighten the ratchet strap until the swing arm and the rear of the machine are perpendicular. This will tighten the chain a little as the system has to have a certain amount of slack due to it not being concentric.

2. Loosen the rear brake caliber bolts. (If you don't have the concentric system and the caliber is on the front sprocket, ignore this step). The bolts are located on the bottom of the caliber.

3. Loosen the rear swingarm mounting bolts. These are the two bolts on the rear of the swingarm that appear to be pinching the bearing housing.

4. Insert a punch pin through the rear sprocket and into the bearing housing. There is a small hole in the sprocket towards the inside that will line up with a hole in the bearing housing. The pin will go about 3/4 inch into the bearing housing.

5. With the pin inserted, gently roll the machine forward. This should spin the bearing housing and tighten the chain. Tighten to about 1/2" to 3/8" deflection.

6. Retighten the rear swingarm bolts to 40-45 ft lbs of torque. Retighten the brake caliber bolts and remove the pin from the sprocket.

7. Remove the ratchet strap (non-concentric models only).

Hope this helps. Post another reply if you still have questions.

Old 02-10-2001, 04:14 AM
Pro Rider

Magnum:

Very detailed. Thanks very much!