Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Off Road Vehicle Registration

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off Road Vehicle Registration

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TNHondaMan

thats a crazy pic wheels,actually its awesome. but i know here in tennessee,cant ride on the roads, but you can run any exhaust you want unless you go to big atv parks. but we have so many mountains you dont have to go to those,im glad to know that some states require registration,thanks....</end quote></div>

It used to be the same way in Az but there have been so many people buying bikes that you can't get away from them. So I guess it is good that they will now be enforcing some rules because you get those people who don't respect anything. The only bad thing is my inlaws have the Honda 400trx's and it would be kinda of weird making these street legal.

Only time will tell how things play out. These new rules went into effect on Jan. 1st and the funny things was nobody knew what was going on. The department of motor vehicle sells the tags but the Game and Fish regulate it. So there was a lot of confusion going on.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: triplggg

Read your states regulation book,it'll tell you where to mount it.</end quote></div>

theres the problem, massachusetts has a big liscence plate, no regulation book, so mount it where ever. cross the boarder and you need an out of state registration for new hampshire, 2 big stickers front and back corners of the atv, there is no flat section on the front of a sportsman big enough for the sticker in the front except under the pod light. cross over into maine and more stickers, your out of flat sections where they want them mounted. up here if you fish, you need to register in 3 states and heres the kicker 40 dollars, 69 dollars, and 73 dollars for the respective registrations and they check, middle of the lake jan 1 two game wardens found me and it was good i got the stickers

Old 01-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: fishlessman

theres the problem, massachusetts has a big liscence plate, no regulation book, so mount it where ever. cross the boarder and you need an out of state registration for new hampshire, 2 big stickers front and back corners of the atv, there is no flat section on the front of a sportsman big enough for the sticker in the front except under the pod light. cross over into maine and more stickers, your out of flat sections where they want them mounted. up here if you fish, you need to register in 3 states and heres the kicker 40 dollars, 69 dollars, and 73 dollars for the respective registrations and they check, middle of the lake jan 1 two game wardens found me and it was good i got the stickers</end quote></div>

That stinks they give you a large license plate. Seems like they want you to have an ugly lookin sportsman with all the stickers you need to put on. Out west you can ride in other states without their stickers as long as you are not in the state for more than 31 days. That ends up being really expensive if you are paying that much money out.

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well after 3 calls to the Louisiana Dept of Wildlife and Fisheries they finally told me just what I thought from the start. It doesn't mater where they are as long as they are visable. I just know my luck though if I had placed them any old place there would have been a required place.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Since we only need them to ride public owned land here in Texas, I haven't bought one (or 5 for that matter) yet.

But, I'd like to tell them where they could stick them. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Massachusetts uses a number plate.

It was a cinch for me to zip-tie it on the back of my X2 on the frame about 6" above the tow hitch.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: rancher55

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: WOLF1

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: rancher55

Here in Idaho they just changed from just a sticker to a plate with two stickers.

The plate costs $3.00 With a sticker thats good for 5 yrs.

Then you have to buy another sticker for $10.00 for the Idaho Parks and Recreation, that go'es on the plate and it's only good for 1 year. $13.00 total.

I just used zip ties to attatch it to the bar that is below the storage spot in the rear of my XP.</end quote></div>

Yea the new Idaho law is silly IMO. They should have just raised the price of the normal decal and distributed funds accordingly. Now I have to decide how and where to hang that silly looking plate, for now its just in the storage bag!

I have never been checked while out riding anyways, I dont normally ride much on popular trails. Rancher55, where you located in Idaho?</end quote></div>

Lewiston, How about you?</end quote></div>

Just north of Idaho Falls.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Wheels47

Here is Arizona they have different laws for different roads which makes it difficult to know what rules apply to what road you are on. The easiest way is to make your vehicle street legal then you can travel any roads whether they be numbered horizontal or vertically. New this year they require an OHV sticker which cost $25 and goes to trail maintance and enforcement. I hope this helps in our state it will be interesting to see how things turn out.</end quote></div>
We'll have to wait and see if the new fees really help. I went after the new year to get the stickers and they don't even have any.
We just ride around Lake Havasu or up in Williams so I think I'll just wait and see what happens.