Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

WHAMMY!! WHOOPS! NEED HELP! BROKEN QUAD!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAMMY!! WHOOPS! NEED HELP! BROKEN QUAD!!

We're expecting about 10" of snow. Got home from work and plowed about 3 inches. Expecting more when I wake up. Anyway.........

I've had my quad on the trails and rode it HARD! Been bucked off and hurt myself many times, but tonight I had something GENTILE hurt my quad!

I have a 500 popo and was turning LEFT a little too fast in the snow, the wheels grabbed the grass hedging and she tipped... like in slow motion.. really... it toppled really really slow.

The result? The master cylinder snapped off.. the moulding is broken. But when I started it back up, the bike revvs really really high. I managed to get it home. I noticed the plug was disconnected from the throttle position sensor and plugged it back in, but it still revvs really really high. This thing was upside down for less than 10 seconds. Dammit, it's gotta be a broken wire in the tps system, dont you think? Please provide your thoughts.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

did you make sure the cable is not being pulled when the handle is turned or it got bent and still has tention on it. make sure at the carb its not pulling on the throttle just a couple of ideas to try first.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider

+1 on what stendori said.
Streched throttle cable would be my first guess!

Old 01-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Trailblazer

You were right! I didnt look at it yesterday, but I took what you wrote and inspected this morning... sure enough, the cable is pulled. I managed to make it "work" again, but I'll need to replace it.
The master cylinder will be replaced, since the handlebar mount is integrated into the unit. Although exploded diagrams that I looked at for this model show the clamp to be a small replaceable part. For the mean time, I red neck'ed my master cylinder back on using tie straps.
I'll be plowing in no time. We're now expecting about a foot of snow or possibly more!!

Old 01-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

Glad you got it going![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Have fun plowing! Most of our snow has melted! For now! LOL![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Trailblazer

I plowed my *** off. Ended up doing the entire subdivision in about 5 minutes! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I called the stealership and they're trying to tell me that the part I'm after is #2201833 for $29.59. I think he's referring to the top clamp that bolts down over the handlebar to the resevoir. I actually need the reservoir that makes up most of the unit, but cant find a part number.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: drewbad

I plowed my *** off. Ended up doing the entire subdivision in about 5 minutes! [img][/img]

I called the stealership and they're trying to tell me that the part I'm after is #2201833 for $29.59. I think he's referring to the top clamp that bolts down over the handlebar to the resevoir. I actually need the reservoir that makes up most of the unit, but cant find a part number.</end quote></div>

drewbad,
It looks to me that 2201833 includes the "bottom half of the master cylinder" including the clamp and clamp screws. part # 2201834 is the top half of the unit and includes the cap, screws, sight and gasket.
Hope this helps![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Trailblazer

Excellent, man! Thanks for putting another set of eyes on this for me! This forums has been really helpful becuase of readers like <span class="FTHighlightFont">you</span ft>!!

Old 01-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

Gotta love the help you can get on this forum. Stendori, I bet drewbad is glad to see you stuck with this forum........ (hope the computer woes are better now, by the way).

Old 01-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Trailblazer

Shortly after ordering said part #2201833, the dealer called me back and told me he didn't think it was the part that I need. So he was scratching his head, too. I ended up odering the assembly. Should be in tomorrow..