Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How many miles on your first belt - 850XP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many miles on your first belt - 850XP?

I want to know what to expect when I get my XP.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

A belt should last thousands of miles if it isn't beat or defective. I don't change belts until they are noticably worn. Th only time I have ever had to change a belt was when I blew one up farting around on the lake on my first 500.

People get so damn worried about the belt, its not something you need to be worried about, I would say, pop the cover every 1k and check the width. Even if it isn't in spec, which it should be, it will be fine imo, as long as it dosen't look shot, and you should be able to notice a belt that is on its way out.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:05 AM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dhmclean

I want to know what to expect when I get my XP.</end quote></div>

It should last you roughly 5000 miles according to Polaris if you drive normally. If it doesn't, then there is probably something wrong.

Of course, if you have an issue, Polaris will probably claim that you "didn't" drive it normally. A good dealer will come in handy in these situations.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Range Rover

I have 500 miles on mine with no issues at all, if it is one I don't worry about it is the belt. You are going to love your XP & it gets better after it gets "broke in".

Old 01-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was a little worried because of a couple of posts I read about early blown belts. Those may be isolated incidents. That's why I wanted to survey those who have a fair amount of miles on theirs already. It may be too soon to tell though.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:52 AM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dhmclean

I was a little worried because of a couple of posts I read about early blown belts. Those may be isolated incidents. That's why I wanted to survey those who have a fair amount of miles on theirs already. It may be too soon to tell though.</end quote></div>

I you haven't already, read the last post in this thread from HIGHOCTANE...

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.atvconnection.com/messageview.cfm/catid/11/threadid/558234/STARTPAGE/3.cfm
">http://forums.atvconnection.co...STARTPAGE/3.cfm
</a>

All the more reason you need a good dealer.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah still too early to tell but of all the possible first year bugs thus belt issue seems to have all of a sudden jumped to the fore front,at least in my mind...still trying to gather more info but so far it looks to me like tires larger than stock may be a factor..so it might not be a bug as much as it shows a need for clutch adjustment for oversize tires..something I have been saying for awhile..
also all of the ones I have read of happened before 200 miles..
With that said I have about 150 miles on mine,most with 27's and they haven't been easy miles,especially the last 50 or so. Alot of drag race style playing and work pulling logs,trailers ect and not just on flat ground...so far so good..
Highest mileage I have read of is 800 on a 550xp..so to accurately judge belt life is going to be hard..but as said Polaris claims 5000 so they should give a long life just like all the other Polaris machines..

Old 01-10-2009, 06:01 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Belts can decieve you. On my 400HO, after 1251 mi, the belt was within .003 of being warn out but looked like brand new and only very minor dusting in the cover. I ordered a new belt and the dealer brought in 5 for stock. I measured them all and even the best one was only a few thousand's above being worn out, according to Polaris's own specs.

I should go back and say that the first belt was working perfectly with no indications of slipping. The only reason I found it was on account of me being so **** about checking stuff and I measured the width on the 100 hr insp.

Don't get **** with it (like me) and enjoy the bike.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mongrol

Belts can decieve you. On my 400HO, after 1251 mi, the belt was within .003 of being warn out but looked like brand new and only very minor dusting in the cover. I ordered a new belt and the dealer brought in 5 for stock. I measured them all and even the best one was only a few thousand's above being worn out, according to Polaris's own specs.

I should go back and say that the first belt was working perfectly with no indications of slipping. The only reason I found it was on account of me being so **** about checking stuff and I measured the width on the 100 hr insp.

Don't get **** with it (like me) and enjoy the bike.</end quote></div>

And if you ride where you would be in a bad way if the machine lost it's belt..know how to change the belt and carry a spare and the tools needed to change it..

Old 01-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mongrol

Don't get **** with it.....</end quote></div>

Why not? Myself.... I rather enjoy it, and the wife is a good sport.......

Quick Reply: How many miles on your first belt - 850XP?