Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ETHANOL

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ETHANOL

Seems here in Maine the 10% ethanol gas is the hot topic for sleds right now. Lot of people having issues with performance, breaking down on the trail, and even blowing up motors - all attributing it to the ethanol gas. In the mid-west they have been using ethanol in their gas for a number of years. Were these problems seen out there?

Anyway - mechanics are now cautioning the use of this gas in all smaller engines including ATVs, snowblowers, chainsaws, generators, etc., etc. There isn't a lot of experience yet, but they are reccomending the use of either CRC marine fuel stabilizer, Stabil Marine Formula, or Seafoam.

Doesn't anybody have any experience with the ethanol fuels? Any experience with how the reccomended products work for ethanol gas? (I know some people swear some of these products wil cure all ills - but I am specifically interested in personal experience as it relates to the reported ethanol gas issue)

Old 01-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts
Default ETHANOL

Haven't had any issues with it down south. But I do use SeaFoam in everything with a motor.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ETHANOL

The rumor I heard is that you get water in your premixed gas/oil for a 2-stroke, the water and ethanol will seperate from the gas/oil. That supposedly sinks to the bottom of the tank and burns without any oil and burns up the engine. I don't pour water in my gas and I don't worry about it. I first used gasohol in the late '70s and haven't had a fuel problem yet.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ETHANOL

5 j's, it sounds like you've been reading my sled forums lol. the biggest problem is that the gas/crap(ethanol) starts to seprate after only 10 to 15 days and people adding the, lets say heat(dry gas) products are inviting more problems as the ethanol crap attacts water. anyways alot of guys are jetting up because of so many melt downs are happening to the 2 strokes and even the maine warden service is warning to use some sort of gas stabil to protect it so your not burning downand getting strandard.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default ETHANOL

jumbo - that sounds like what is being reported here. Apparently the ethanol pulls the moisture out of the air (as dry gas does) and then the ethanol come out of solution and causes the issues. According to this fact sheet from the State of Maine website ethanol must be transported and blended into gasoline at the terminal beacuse of the water it absorbs.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default ETHANOL

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

5 j's, it sounds like you've been reading my sled forums lol. the biggest problem is that the gas/crap(ethanol) starts to seprate after only 10 to 15 days and people adding the, lets say heat(dry gas) products are inviting more problems as the ethanol crap attacts water. anyways alot of guys are jetting up because of so many melt downs are happening to the 2 strokes and even the maine warden service is warning to use some sort of gas stabil to protect it so your not burning downand getting strandard.</end quote></div>

Stendori - I'm hearing that the regular stabil doesn't help, that you need to get the Marine Stabil (or one of the other products listed at top). Yes - dry gas (isopropyl alchohol) will just add to the problem.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.
Default ETHANOL

I guess I have been running 89 with 10% ethanol since it came out here in the midwest. Cant say I have any problems I guess. Did burn down an RMK 800 but that was due to mountain jetting from the dealer (they didnt set it up for the area they were selling the machine!) 1000' vs 6000'.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default ETHANOL

on my boat im seeing gas lines soften and fail and spark plugs burning out much faster, i dont know how my merc was even running after looking at the plugs this year. i run a water separator and try to only have enough in the tank for the days needs carrying extra in internal tanks up in the cabin. my ice auger will not run with older ethynol gas when the temps drop, so yes there are problems. my old dodge gas mileage also plumets when the temps drop using that ethynol stuff, ive been running it for about 4 years in the boat and truck

Old 01-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default ETHANOL

my auger has been acting up this year. wonder if it's related to the ethanol?