Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1999 Scrambler won't fire

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009 | 10:35 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 1999 Scrambler won't fire

Hey guys, i am new to this forum and love it! Very helpful. I am having a problem with my 99' Scrambler 500 H.O. 4X4. It started back early this winter when the weather started to get colder. I first noticed the fuel valve (petcock) was leaking, i replaced it and everything was good. A couple of days later i noticed fuel leaking again but not from the valve, i looked everywhere and then found it was leaking from the tubing coming off the float bowl. I thought maybe the floats were sticking so i decided to pull the carb off, i took it apart and found that it was pretty clean but i still gave it a one over with some carb cleaner and compressed air, cleaned the jets, diaphram looks good etc. I reinstalled the carb and fuel tank etc. hooked everything up and now i cant get it to start! I pulled the plug and it is getting a spark but i suspect it is not getting enough fuel. I removed the fuel line from the carb and cranked it over to see if it was pumping fuel, a little fuel sqirted out but i am not sure how much should come out. I tried hooking a hand vacuum pump up to the fuel pump and noticed when i pump it up it doesn't hold the pressure. i took the fuel pump apart and took a quick look at the diaphram (clear plastic one) it looked good but i never really took a close look. Can these get small pinholes in them? I suspected the no start is from lack of fuel because when i sit there cranking it over and pulling the recoil trying to start it I never smell any fuel. I haven't worked on it since christmas bc my garage has no heat and it has been so friggin cold. Today was -47 celcius!!! however this weekend is suppose to be nice and i will get out there. I am just looking for any advice or anything that i can check. I really appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks

Old 01-14-2009 | 11:27 PM
Trailblazer

Damn!!! that is cold.

Old 01-14-2009 | 11:32 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

It has been like that for the last 2 weeks, so today i booked a trip to mexico!!!

Old 01-19-2009 | 11:42 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

So i have determined the fuel pump is not pumping enough fuel and have ordered a rebuild kit from polaris. How do i prime the fuel pump once i install it?

Old 01-20-2009 | 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

hey, that pump sometimes needs to be primed! sqirt little bit of carb cleaner in the carb to fire it enogh to provide enough vacuum to prime the pump..

Old 01-20-2009 | 08:57 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

hey thanks for the tip! Do i spray the carb cleaner as i am cranking the motor?

Old 01-21-2009 | 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

generally thats what your suppose to do. keeps the spray in the air instead of it landing and the air intake having to pick it back up again

Old 01-21-2009 | 08:32 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

finally!!! i got this thing started.

Thanks Mechanike for the tip on priming the fuel pump, you just saved me 50 bucks!! turns out the old one is ok, i guess when i disconnected the fuel lines from the carb all the fuel drained out of the pump.

now that i have it running, i had to keep the throttle cracked a little to keep it from stalling, but once it warmed up really good and i took the choke off the idle speed was too low and it would stall, i increased the idle adjustment on the carb to keep it running but i have a feeling it is something else. I took it for a quick ride and it runs really well even with the choke on, could this just be the cold weather.

also it is misfiring at idle speed and low rpm's. I just put a new plug in it (NGK BKR6E gapped at .028), new fuel filter and fresh fuel.

Any ideas?

Thanks