Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

hockey puck lift kit gone wrong!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hockey puck lift kit gone wrong!!

O.K. I did the hockey puck lift kit to my front end. Easy!. I took it out of the garage and it rode really funny. Took it back in the garage and the front (right side) splined shaft had popped out of the wheel hub. I took off the hub and I think it is screwed and the spines on the axle are messed up also. So, how do I get the axle shaft off that goes to the engine. You must be able to take apart the u-joint some how, but i dont see any bolts or connections. Like I said, I have the hub off, I just need to take the shaft off now without fu--ing anything else up. Please help!

Old 01-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh yeh, I forgot to mention, it is a 04 700 sportsman. I think what I am talking about is the CV joint is all messed up. Someone has to know.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you dropped the hub too far - the joint came apart - forced together - then you ran it..... Not good. Thinkin there a bunch tore up in it. Mine came apart also but popped boot off & put back together.

Most dealers don't rebuild them just replace whole thing. I have read about others taking off etc but I never have. Hope one will chime in soon.

Here is link to a 2003 700 service manual that may help
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y1A3JT0Z

Old 01-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

Hang tight Bodangles - I sure somebody can offer some help.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: upnort

Sounds like you dropped the hub too far - the joint came apart - forced together - then you ran it..... Not good. Thinkin there a bunch tore up in it. Mine came apart also but popped boot off & put back together.

Most dealers don't rebuild them just replace whole thing. I have read about others taking off etc but I never have. Hope one will chime in soon.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y1A3JT0Z</end quote></div>

Yup, thats exactly what happened. The joint is messed up and the splined axle is a little chewed as well. Got it apart except the axle. Dont know how to remove it.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres one of two ways to get the axle off the machine; there is either a roll pin holding the inner joint on the differential or there is a compression ring. if you cant see a roll pin then its a compression ring. either one is a pain since is has been together for a while and has no lubrication. if its the compression ring spray of penetrating oil and let it soak for a while (atleast an hour) then give it a good yank or two or three.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Bodangles

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: upnort

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y1A3JT0Z</end quote></div>

Yup, thats exactly what happened. The joint is messed up and the splined axle is a little chewed as well. Got it apart except the axle. Dont know how to remove it.</end quote></div>

Are you asking how to remove it from the differential? If so it just pops out..a spring clip,called a Circlip holds it in..some pop out easy some not so easy..use a large flat tipped scew driver or a small pry bar,place the flat end in between the CV and the diff,careful not to force it in too far and damage the aluminum differential...just enough to get a good grip on the CV. Then rest the prybar/screw driver up against something to support it and use as a fulcrum..not the aluminum differential..use something in between the pry bar and the diff to spead the load a thin piece of wood ect.. Then just pop it out with a quick snap..in anycase be careful not to damage anything,they can be a pain sometimes..most times they aren't though..

Old 01-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

update......... Both sides are screwed. Left and right. I will need both axles for sure. Probably both CV joints and boots. Are those bearings in the CV boots usually stiff? The spined pattern in there looks to be O.K. only the axle is chewed up from being outside the boots. Not very happy. That little hockey puck lift kit has got me in deep!

Old 01-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I got both axle shafts out of the diff now. Wasnt too bad. Now I need to order the complete shafts with outer CV joints and boots. Anyone know if they come assembled with boot on and greased? I dont think assembly will be difficult. If anyone knows any tricks, please feel free to share.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

If you buy complete shafts it should come assembled..that machine has a Universal type inner joint right? That is a benefit of the newer axles that have 2 CVs..they extend alot futher without unplugging..
Sounds like you need to replace the entire shaft..have you priced them yet?
No way you can clean up the splines? They are not cheap from Polaris...might want to see what the price difference is for an aftermarket axle..the stockers list for like $323

I can't vouch for these,might be junk,or could be decent,say it has a 1 year warranty,not including the boot.. $199 free shipping..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...91913512QQcmdZViewItem

Quick Reply: hockey puck lift kit gone wrong!!