Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HEADLIGHT POD ON A 425 Xpedition

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2001, 01:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im starting to think that the whole headlight pod is gonna be expensive and complicated so what i'd rather u tell me is HOW TO MAKE THE THING HAUL ***. I hit 57 mph MAX!! What can i put to make it go faster. I want to keep up with or get close to an H.O. I want 62-65 mph. PLease help me. I don't want to get too expensive.

Old 02-10-2001, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider

Just back from exile for my "trick" fonts. And a round of drag race tests with the 425EXP vs the SP 500 H.O. The 38mm TM carb is on the EXP, with an H.O. cam and a ported muffler. The H.O. has a AAEN long duration cam and a ported muffler. With my 85 lb son on the EXP 3 out of 3 races are dead even. The Sp used to beat the EXP by 3 lengths (75 yards)
But the EXP will NOT go faster than 52mph.
You can feel the rush of power quit when the limiter is reached. According to my dealer the EXP has a limiter built into the CDI because it is manual shift and you could blow the engine by over-reving it in the lower gears. If you swapped "brains" with a non-shift Polaris would it know how to go into reverse???
425, What is your top speed with your big bore stategy? Are you experiencing limitations with your limiter? ssssss

H.O. white spring, 44 gram wts. ported muffler,
AAEN long duration cam, K&N
425 EXP, 38mmTM Mikuni, H.O. cam, ported muffler, K&N

Old 02-10-2001, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

My bike will do around 54 mph. It does not matter which tires I have on it. It will show 54 with the 25's and the 28's. I know with the 28's on it it is going faster then 54 mph. My friends stock Xped will be showing 54 mph and I can suck the plastic off of it in a long straight stretch.

Old 02-11-2001, 02:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't understand why you all dont get much top speed with your 435 Xpedition's. Mine ALWAYS and i mean ALWAYS gets up to 57 mph and then thats all it will go. Thats all that it has. It doesn't cut off or anything, thats just all it has. I still hit 57mph even after i put the brush guard, rear bumper and rack extensions. Also i weight 190lbs.

Old 02-11-2001, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

There is some kind of limiter on these EXPs.
Maybe a cruise through the Parts manual will give us a clue as to what is different in the electronics package. Maybe a scrambler cdi unit or something. Maybe a wire from the speedo back to the cdi?

Old 02-12-2001, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

To ledebuhr1 and the rest of you guys. The new polaris guard is fantastic. I mean fantastic. It will be a while ledebuhr1 as I left my atv way up north as usual. I did not take a picture, sorry. I should have. My friend at work could digitalize the picture then lurch could post it. I won't be going up north now untill 3 weekends from now. Jaime up in roseau invited me up there to go fishing and atving. I will take a picture then But
I know you want the picture right now.

I will tell you guys this. It fits like a glove. Near the bottom those bars you see in the atv catalog, don't look like much. Well they are. They
are real large metal bars and are bolted on solid.
They will help alot when you want to skid over a tree. It does protect the rad. much better. It looks great on the machine. I thought they were going to charge me more then they did. I was thinking about 350 bucks. My bill was 230 bucks. When they re-mounted my old 2000 lb. warn. winch. They completely turned it around. The release clutch is now on the left side instead of the right side. So easier access to it. They had to pull out and re-feed my winch cable. I love it. Sorry, your right. I should have taken a picture saturday. Take my word for it. It is a really nice
outfit. It will look great on any of the gen IV atv's. It fits on like a custom fit. Polaris did a
good job. I am getting a tax refund again this year and I am looking into 27 inch mud bugs. I got
26 inch now. It might be foolish to make such a small change for almost 400 bucks from highlifter.

PS: those extended mudguards did the job to, after
I put them on last summer. They were a pain. Taking off the old ones. Was hard. I had to drill new holes too, so I had to un-bolt and take off both the front and back storage racks. It took me 5 hours to take the old off and put the extended mud guards on. After 1 year now. I am not getting plasterd with mud any more from the 26 inch mudbugs. rangerchet

Old 02-12-2001, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

thanks rangerchet

i want to know how much it weighs, looks like it would really sag the front end down.
also is there a problem with overheating because of the winch and Guard blocking too much air from the radiator.

can wait to see some pics.

later
jon