Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Plowing tips...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:30 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plowing tips...

Just wondering... so far, since I got my ATV, I have not had a "big" snow. Only a few inches at a time.

I'm just wondering, once we do get a big snow of a foot or so (just a matter of time) is there anything I should know. The guy that was doing the plowing for me (with a pickup truck) constantly complained about running out of places to put the snow and it took him at least an hour to plow my drive (about 200 ft gravel).

I have a 50'' blade (Moose push tube, see pics in profile) on a 400 4x4. When I plowed the few inches (with a few 1 foot drifts) I had no problem pushing the snow. The only real challenge that I found was cleaning up the "ends" of the driveway, at the street and at the house.

Anyway, just wondering if anybody had any "this will make your life easier" type comments.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default Plowing tips...

If you can go across the road I would, and also push it back as far as you can
If you push the snow up into your yard at the end of your drive, also push it back quite a ways to make room for more snow

Old 01-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default Plowing tips...

also if you have a ditch on your side of the road fill that in too

Old 01-24-2009, 10:03 AM
DCT
Banned
Default Plowing tips...

Jesse,

No question about it... making as much room as you can "the first time" you plow, and each subsequent time is very important.

Do you have a manual lift, or a winch for the plow?

Old 01-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Range Rover
Default Plowing tips...

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

Jesse,

No question about it... making as much room as you can "the first time" you plow, and each subsequent time is very important.

Do you have a manual lift, or a winch for the plow?</end quote></div>

Winch... although it almost feels manual. The switch is on the cargo rack above the left fender, so I have to bend forward each time to reach the switch. I'm considering ideas for moving the switch (it is about the size of a coke can) to somewhere like maybe the center of the handlebars where my model just has a rubber dust cover... but not sure exactly how to mount it yet since it is just now getting to the top of my priority list.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider
Default Plowing tips...

As was said move it as far out as you can by either tilting the blade or straight ahead & pushing it wherever there is room. There is a technique that you start to raise your plow to push the snow up on the bank also. You would be amazed how high some have been able to stack it.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Range Rover
Default Plowing tips...

Making room to pile the snow is definitely the most important thing. You need to do this the first time you plow because once you get snow banks and piles built up, you won't be able to move them. The nice thing with an ATV is you can push it back across your yard without tearing up the grass like a plow on a pickup would do.

I'd think twice about pushing snow across the road. It's illegal in many places. Chances are nobody would care, but if someone does complain or the police/sheriff see you doing it, you could end up with a big ticket.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:06 AM
DCT
Banned
Default Plowing tips...

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: upnort

As was said move it as far out as you can by either tilting the blade or straight ahead & pushing it wherever there is room. There is a technique that you start to raise your plow to push the snow up on the bank also. You would be amazed how high some have been able to stack it.</end quote></div>

Yep, that's exactly why I asked if it was a winch or manual lift. That technique is pretty easy to do with a winch... not sure how easy with a manual lift.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Range Rover
Default Plowing tips...

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: upnort

As was said move it as far out as you can by either tilting the blade or straight ahead & pushing it wherever there is room. There is a technique that you start to raise your plow to push the snow up on the bank also. You would be amazed how high some have been able to stack it.</end quote></div>

Yep, that's exactly why I asked if it was a winch or manual lift. That technique is pretty easy to do with a winch... not sure how easy with a manual lift.</end quote></div>

It's pretty easy with a manual lift as well. I've got a manual lift on the TB 250 that I plow with and I've been surprised how high I can stack the piles.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default Plowing tips...

Find a friend that has a Skid Steer or loader and have him do it up good once?

Quick Reply: Plowing tips...