Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Lights dim with throttle

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights dim with throttle

I am having an issue with my headlights dimming. When I am at idle, they are full bright. However, when I give it any throttle they dim out a bit. I'm confused as to why this is happening. You would think it would be the opposite (dim at idle) if it was a charging issue. Could it be the battery is just weak? I did get a bit of water in a headlight last year and I have new ones on order but...

Anyone with some expertise beyond mine or have had a similiar situation, please post! It's just one of those little things that drives me nuts!

A guy at work here suggested the "Voltage Regulator". This might make sense because it happened after some serious water crossings. All other electrical stuff works just fine though. Anyone tell me where along the line to find the voltage regulator? I'm not familiar with it on my bike.

Any ideas at all. Thanks in advance

Old 01-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

that would sound right,considering it happened right after crossing,check volts while runnin,12.5>13.8v.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: slikjr

Anyone tell me where along the line to find the voltage regulator? I'm not familiar with it on my bike.

</end quote></div>

It is usually under the "hood"... the plastic piece that sits between the radiator and handlebars, mounted to the frame somewhere. If you look at the microfiche on any parts site, it is usually on the slide called "electrical/taillight" or something like that.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, thanks. I'll check the "microfliche" and see what I can find. I'll take it a look at it. I'll pull it all apart, clean it up, dielectric grease it and put 'er back together. See if that makes any difference.

I was also thinking possibly a ground. I am going to pull all my grounds off, clean them up and put them back on. Thinking maybe if there is a bad ground the increased throttle causes more interference and is messing with it.

If it's not either of those things, I'll up poop creek because I hate picking apart every electric connection looking for something! Grrr. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Thanks for the help thus far. Keep it coming if anyone thinks of anything else!