Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

KFI or Warn winch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KFI or Warn winch?

I need to purchase a winch for the xp and I was wondering if anyone had any preferences between the two? The KFI is half the cost of the warn. I am looking at the RT 3.0 Warn or the equivilent KFI. I know sometimes you get what you pay for, but I was just wondering. Thanks for the replies.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

You nailed it on the head "you get what you pay for"! Warn and Ramsey are the only way to go if you want the winch to last!

Old 01-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Trailblazer

Here's my two cents...

Hands down, quality, go with the Warn. No brainer!

That said, I bought a $70 Champion 2000 lbs. from Costco and mounted that up. I have yet to have it fail after two years. It has took more than it's fair shares of swims, completely submerged. I bought a handle bar rocker switch for instead of the big dumb buttons it came with.

If I have to replace it after 3 or more years, so be it. For $70, no one will be crying. A Warn will pull faster under same load that's for sure...but when you're stuck anyways, what's the hurry?!

That's all I have to say about that ahahah.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

I don't know what KFI is, but I would recommend to anyone to get a synthetic rope no matter what brand it is. You will be very happy that you did.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree that warn is the best(imo) but i do have a gorilla 3,000 on the wifes bike and it works fairly good and i belave goriall stands behind thier product pretty good as well.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

GO WARN for the winch, and I've heard KFI has good mount plates

Old 01-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Trailblazer

save the money and get something other than warn. you can get a gorilla 2500lb with a fairlead delivered to your door for $105.

check around, people love to complain when they get burned (me included). i checked all over the forums before i bought a winch (champion) and i bought a kfi mount plate. Could not find anyone complaining about champion. even slikjr bought a champion (no problems) but still recommended for you to buy a warn? why?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone for the responses. I ended up going with the Warn RT 3.0 The mount I ordered with it is the KFI mount. The mount is made of 10 gauge steel and is made in america. The salesman at KFI did try to talk me into the KFI winch, but I researched and found that the new warn winches use a disk brake where as the KFI uses a drum break. I do not believe it to be a huge difference, but it added to my thoughts. The wiring for the KFI was also a higher gauge(meaning smaller wires) so I decided to go with the Warn. I think I may also use the strap mod that someone here in the forum said to use for snow plowing. Thanks again to everyone for there responses. I hope to come home tomorrow with a new 850 so at this point i am stoked! (still not sure which color or camo as the dealer says he has 1 of all of them to choose from. Darn decisions.)

Old 01-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Trailblazer

SUMMERJACK... didn't recommend going with the Warn at all!

You can't argue that Warn has been the front-runner in the inch industry for years and years! Not just in the ATV market, also for Jeeps and full size vehicles. Those are the FACTS.

If I was going to "recommend" a winch for him to buy, I would have said either a Champion, Viper or Gorilla. Why? Because they are CHEAP and I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about them for the price.

I have no gripes about my Champion at all! Finished!

Old 01-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: slikjr

SUMMERJACK... didn't recommend going with the Warn at all!

sorry when you wrote "go with warn" i read it literally. everything else i agree with. jeeps and full sized vehicles would be a different forum