Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New battery

I didn't know Walmart had the gel batteries.

The Kawi batteries are mounted at an angle in the 650 and 750, and the battery on some Polaris's are on their back side I believe.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:46 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default New battery

Our Sault Ontario Canada Wal-marts sell "Energizer" brand batteries, Our Wal-Mart across the border in Sault Michigan sells "Everstart" brands.

I Have been using a cheap $35 Everstart in my 500 twin snowmobile for the last 3 years and it has works suprisingly well.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Range Rover
Default New battery

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]Ya, I checked my local Wallyworld before I purchased from BP. Asked the 9th grader/sales idiot if they stocked AGM batteries and he just gave me the "deer in the headlights" look. Left there, went down the block to BP.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:05 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!
Default New battery

^^^^^^^^LMAO.........Funnny post!!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default New battery

From "Roofer"-"Also, I have heard good things about the AGM and Oddysey (sp) batteries. Have not tried either one myself."

I have an Odyssey battery in my KLR650 and Concours. These batteries are built to military specifications for durability, shock & vibration resistance, shelf life, etc. Some of them are even made with a metal--not plastic--case. When the OEM batteries in my quads die, I will be replacing them with an Odyssey battery.
At about twice the price of a regular battery, they are not cheap. But they last at least twice as long, and provide huge starting and deep discharge reserve power--conventional batteries are built to do one or the other. You'll need to measure your current battery and the battery box in your quad, and find the Odyssey that is the best fit. Check the website for specifications and prices.

http://www.portablepower.com/

Old 02-05-2009, 10:27 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
Default New battery

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Dearlh

[IMG][/IMG]Ya, I checked my local Wallyworld before I purchased from BP. Asked the 9th grader/sales idiot if they stocked AGM batteries and he just gave me the "deer in the headlights" look. Left there, went down the block to BP.</end quote></div>

Our Wal-Mart has all there Batteries displayed out in the open, not sure why anyone needs help to pick up the battery you want. All the info is on the box or battery anyways.

Once you know the CCA,AH,type and dimensions you want what is a store clerk going to do for you?

I would buy a part off of a monkey if its cheaper than the next store. The clerks just run the cash register they do not built the part.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Range Rover
Default New battery

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]TLC, I looked over the display, cross referenced the battery number to the matching Wal-Mart Everstart number and THAT didn't even show up on their screen! Also, when it comes to the Wal-Mart auto service center, the "clerks" are NOT just ringing the till, they are selling you tires, auto service, etc... When you go to your local sporting goods store, are they familiar with the products they sell?? Most of the time, I would say yes. Just my 2 cents worth whatever

Old 02-05-2009, 11:19 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
Default New battery

Don,t worry about cross reference numbers for a battery, there all 12v, as long as the dimensions work it will fit and run the ATV. Picking if you want a gel type or higher CCA and AH battery is just a preference not a necessity.

You can use the battery out of a lawn tractor as long as it fits into the ATVs battery craddle.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Range Rover
Default New battery

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]Ya, I understand the 12v, but isn't that why you would cross reference diffferent brands numbers to be sure to get one thats going to fit your dimensions?? Or do you bring a tape measure in with you and start measuring all the various powersports batteries on display? Your Wal-Mart must be a alot different than mine.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:53 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
Default New battery

A tape will work but you have to bring in the old battery to get the $10 trade in anyways, the dimensions do not have to be spot on, if the replacement battery is a little taller and your ATV has the clearances for it the battery will still work. You can use a space filler if the battery is smaller,but is the battery is to big for that cradle in anyway,then its of no use.

Batteries only come is certain standard dimensions,I don,t think Polaris has some odd size that is only unique to them,Polaris just uses what size there battery manufacturer has to offer.