Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Brake hand damaged

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake hand damaged

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It was turned off.
Once the clog cleared in the shoot, the piece that throws the snow spun 1 more rotation.
I usually use a stick, first time in 5 years iI didn't b/c I was in a hurry, and this was the result.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Speeddrive1

Ouch, that looks like it may have hurt a little. The good thing is that you can save time trimming finger nails now.

Hope you can get back to riding, but when you crush the bones compared to just cutting them off adds considerable

healing time.

Turn the snowblower off b4 sticking hand in to clean it out.</end quote></div>

Old 02-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Ya, I was trying to give you some crap. I did however watch a guy stick his hand in the shoot while it was still running and it got him.
I hope that you heal up and regain the use of your fingers, I hate to see anyone get hurt like that.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Trailblazer

I know, that's why I [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] in my reply..it's all good.<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Speeddrive1

Ya, I was trying to give you some crap. I did however watch a guy stick his hand in the shoot while it was still running and it got him.

I hope that you heal up and regain the use of your fingers, I hate to see anyone get hurt like that.</end quote></div>

Old 02-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply's and for the well wishes.
I will see how the PT goes, but wanted some imput so that I have a direction to go in if I need to make changes down the road.
Thanks again!

Old 02-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TDAWG, I wonder if you can reach the brake lever with your right hand? I tried it once when I was carrying something left-handed. It's not a very stable position and I was kind of grabby/jerky. After I wash the ATV I go down the street and hit the brakes to dry it off but I never use the foot brake at all when I ride.

P.S. get well soon.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Trailblazer
Default Update**

I had my first ride this weekend since the accident, and everything went really well!
I couldn't really tell ANY differance from the last time I rode and used my left hand for breaking, stearing, hooking up the trailer, nothing!
Thank goodness I had great surgeons and PT's!
Originally Posted by TDAWGCOUG
So about 8 weeks ago, I had terrible accident with my snow blower and badly damaged my left hand. The plastic surgeon did a wonderful job with what he had to work with, which was atleast 15 fractures and partilly amputated finger, skin still attached. The hope is that, minus 1/3+ of my middle finger, my hand/fingers will be workable in 4-12 months. I will not wait 12 months to ride, but am wondering if soley using my foot brake will wear out certain parts faster than using the hand and foot brake about equal?
TIA

A few hand pics if interested:
X-ray after surgery

Hand 4 days after surgery

Hand 4 weeks out

The pins were about 2" long, and were taken out at 6 weeks.
The screw will stay in forever.
I start PT this week..

Old 07-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm glad all turned out well for you. Remember to keep those fingers away from things that bite.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:51 AM
Pro Rider

It's good to hear that you are "back in the saddle"!LOL!

Old 07-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

what about putting the brake on the right side like on a motorcycle? just a thought...

Old 07-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

Jeeeez sorry to hear of your accident and I hope you have a great recovery. Time and hard work during the PT phase I am sure will pay huge dividends down the road with flexibility and functionality and general use. My wife is an ER nurse and unfortunately your accident is not rare and in fact fairly common during these New England winters. I'm glad I read your post as I pretty much thought that if the machine is off all is good, but I guess your proof that is not the case.

Sounds like you are already riding again but if a change on the brakes is needed I would probably look at fabricating a mount bracket on the opposite side of the current foot brake. I would relocate the reservoir to the new bracket and fabricate a foot brake pedal or modify one to work. Another option is to leave your existing setup in place for later use and purchase a master cylinder and brake pedal that are used in micro/mini sprints and plumb that in. Just a couple thoughts.

Get well!

- brian