Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front diff input seal leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info I will check that kit out. They still have the bike just waiting for the part. Thanks again!!

Old 05-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

I have done a few seals like that for 08 X2s with adc and you can not get just the seal. You get the whole cover assembly and it is a composite material (plastic) not aluminum like the original. I would be interested what the issues were with the aluminum covers.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer
Smile

Hi, Thanks for all the info! I just picked the bike up from the popo dealer yesterday and so far so good. It was 115.00 for the parts and labor to fix the leak. They replaced the metal cover and seal and so far no leaks. It seems like there is purple grease around the cover where the gasket goes. It's like they used it on the gasket on the main cover, to maybe help seal it?? There is also some grease around the input seal which I believe is to help seal it also. I have never see them use it around the cover before. Is this normal for them to use the grease/seal combination? Thanks for any info!!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a 2008 sportsman 500 with close to 3000 miles and i am haveing the same problem i was wondering how hard is it to change the seal and what do i have to do to change it

Old 10-17-2011, 11:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by joe101
i have a 2008 sportsman 500 with close to 3000 miles and i am haveing the same problem i was wondering how hard is it to change the seal and what do i have to do to change it
Welcome to the forum!The input cover seal assembly #3234463 (includes plate ,seal,bushing,o-ring) is $86.22 at Cycle Parts Warehouse.(about as cheap as any place online) You have to remove the prop shaft roll pin at the front gear case,slide the prop shaft back(a lot of times you have to knock it back with a dull chisel at the rear of the prop shaft towards the transmission) to have room to remove the prop shaft from the front gear case. Then you can replace the leaking cover plate assembly. Then prop shaft lines back up on the front gear case shaft(line the hole up for the roll pin and install) Be sure to grease the prop shaft afterwards. OPT

Old 04-07-2016, 04:00 AM
Range Rover

Sorry for bringing back up old post . But has there been any new update's for just buying the seal alone or a improved seal. I've got a 08 SP touring just bought and put about 20 miles on and I've had to do a ton of work on so far. Need to stop spending money on it. Cause I think wife's chain it about to break and she's going to bite me.LOL

Old 04-07-2016, 04:24 AM
Range Rover

how about just the seal measurements?

Old 04-07-2016, 08:51 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If the seal isn't destroyed it will have the universal number on it that can be used at most auto stores or bearing houses.Some seals will have the size on them also.Plus here's a place that can cross reference oem part numbers to generic bearing and seals.http://www.hyperparts.com/wc.dll?ctw...~00043~Polaris

Old 04-07-2016, 02:23 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If the seal isn't destroyed it will have the universal number on it that can be used at most auto stores or bearing houses.Some seals will have the size on them also.Plus here's a place that can cross reference oem part numbers to generic bearing and seals.http://www.hyperparts.com/wc.dll?ctw...~00043~Polaris
Thank you opt

Old 04-08-2016, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the shaft coming out of the diff doesn't have a groove worn in it from the seal. Had that issue with my '09 RZR. They replaced the whole thing once while under warranty and new seal started leaking not long after that. I bought an upgraded cover/seal/bearing kit off ebay and never had an issue after.

Problem is there are two bearings with a plastic spacer on that pinion gear/shaft which makes it prone to moving/wiggling around. The kit has a better cover with larger diam bearings and wider races which eliminate the slop caused with the factory set-up.

Quick Reply: Front diff input seal leaking