Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What does everyone think about using Royal Purple?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does everyone think about using Royal Purple?

Hey biz, Aren't those Hondas great? I have 2 Hondas and an Acura. But you could put maple syrup in those motors and they would still run forever.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Now if I put RP in my Chevy truck, it probably wouldn't make it to the end of the driveway. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

That's quite a dyno you have. Mines too big to get any accurate measurements.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ss97

I saw a Corvette blown up once with Mobil 1 in it.........so bad things can happen no matter what oil you use.....

Any claim to magical powers by any oil is suspect.</end quote></div>
I believe Corvettes have Mobil 1 in them from the factory. Do you know if the engine failure was due to the oil?
I use the Mobil 1 r4t in my ZX14 and both kfx700s. Mostly cuz it's readily available. I'm too lazy to deal with the Amsoil thing.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider

What is the reason for using an oil such as AMSOIL or Royal Purple that costs more than the Polaris oil that is reccomended? I can understand Mobil 1 if you are trying to save a buck or two.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Budman650

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ss97

I saw a Corvette blown up once with Mobil 1 in it.........so bad things can happen no matter what oil you use.....

Any claim to magical powers by any oil is suspect.</end quote></div>

I believe Corvettes have Mobil 1 in them from the factory. Do you know if the engine failure was due to the oil?

I use the Mobil 1 r4t in my ZX14 and both kfx700s. Mostly cuz it's readily available. I'm too lazy to deal with the Amsoil thing.</end quote></div>

No I doubt the 'Vette failure was due to the oil, I was just making a point that no oil is going to save you from certain abuse. Mobile 1 is great oil and I highly doubt it had anything to do with the failure.

As far as Amsoil goes..... I just recently learned about their "cult marketing" thing. I dunno maybe it is a regional thing or something because here on the East coast Amsoil has always been in the local dealers. I've been using it for 20 years and I never knew about this odd marketing thing, which seems almost impossible if you think about it......Trust me if I had to deal with some salesperson type to get it, I would not be using it.....

Either way I usually just use the best oil that is on the shelf, which in most cases is Amsoil.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: *5 J's*

What is the reason for using an oil such as AMSOIL or Royal Purple that costs more than the Polaris oil that is reccomended? I can understand Mobil 1 if you are trying to save a buck or two.</end quote></div>

Well for most engines, a synthetic oil is better.......

In most utility ATVs, they don't rev as high, they have less compression, they have thicker cylinder walls and heavier internal parts. So a dino oil like Polaris oil is probably fine...

But with the sport machines revving as high as they do today, as hard as they are run for sports like MX/SX, they have high compression and light aluminum and titanium parts, they really should have a good synthetic oil that won't lose viscosity as it gets hot.

Synthetics or even partial synthetics have longer viscosity point, they don't shear as easily, and they handle temperature changes better. They are simply more stable and less volatile compared to fossil oils.

If your ATV is run under extreme conditions, I would say use at least a synthetic blend of 50%.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

ss97, I realized what you were saying about the Vet failure. I was just wondering if you knew it was the oil since I use Mobil 1. I don't even need the synthetic but it's a nice safety factor to have especially when I ride my bike (not too often) in 110*+ heat.

I agree on the Amsoil cult. In order to get a discount, you need to buy into their "club" and then you need to buy so much or else you lose the "dealer" discount. At least that's the way I understand it.
I can walk into any walmart and buy my Mobil 1 and I'm done.

And this polaris issue with 2w50??? How and why did they come up with that?

Old 03-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

When I think of Amsoil, first thing that comes to mind is Amway.

Been using synthetic in the atv's since I got em. Never have put anything but Castrol GTX in my 2.3 Ranger, and it's pushing 248k. I'd probably kill it if I put the good stuff in it now.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:35 PM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: *5 J's*

What is the reason for using an oil such as AMSOIL or Royal Purple that costs more than the Polaris oil that is reccomended? I can understand Mobil 1 if you are trying to save a buck or two.</end quote></div>

*5 J's*,

Like anything else all oils are not created equal. There are oils that claim to be "synthetic", and there are "real" synthetic oils with the best additives.

I like using AMSOIL because I know I'm getting one of the very best "real" synthetic oils with great additives. If I buy Polaris oil, I have no idea what I'm getting, and the next time I buy it, it might be different. Plus, you would never be able to discuss the product with Polaris. They would never take the time of day to fill you in on the specs. They will just tell you it's what they recommend... not good enough for me.

With that said, the only way to really know how your oil is performing is to have a few UOA's done.

With that said #2 (LOL) the Polaris oil is probably fine, and may be excellent... just no way to know without testing it.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

yea - I understand to some extent DCT. I usually try to run the "best" products in all my machines - but I often wonder how much money I "waste" on snake oil. The older I get the more I start to think like ss97 "Any oil will work if you change it regularly......... As long as you are using the proper viscosity and blend for your purposes and you keep it clean and fresh, you will have good luck with every oil....." I also agree with his statement "Any claim to magical powers by any oil is suspect."

I concur that not all oils are created equal - and I suspect that AMSOIL is a better product. But here is my conundrum - AMSOIL doesn't make the specified 2W-50 oil - likely the AMSOIL 0W-40 would be better - but who knows. Next the AMSOIL may be good for 30k miles - but I would never put that many miles on in a season and I change the oil once a season at a minimum.

I would like to find a "better" oil to specifically address the reason's you point out (plowing, cold weather, etc) - and would like to see how HO makes out with his oil pressure results. At the same time I would like to see a lab do an analysis on the Polaris 2W-50.

But until AMSOIL has 2W-50 that is specified I will use the Polaris brand and change the oil regularly. Definately would spend the money on the subject Royal Purple.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Trailblazer

HI. I use AMSOIL 0-40 4-stroke designed for ATV's and synthetic K&N oil filter. In my opinion it's the best combo. Ken Kinsey Atlanta Mich.

Quick Reply: What does everyone think about using Royal Purple?