Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What does everyone think about using Royal Purple?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does everyone think about using Royal Purple?

I, like some of you have noticed this confusing bs about 2w50 oil being required in our XP's and other Polaris atv's.
I'm curious to try Royal Purple in my atv however they don't have a 2w50 oil and when i contacted them today the guy from R.P. thought it was a misprint and upon further discussion he looked it up and sure enough it was correct but he suggested that a 20w50 could be used. Which i thought might not be right. He continued to say that the higher number (being the 50) is the one thats truely important for the engine running at operating temp.
Im no oil expert and ive been told long ago that a 5w30 covered a wider range of temps than say 10w30.. Is that true? Does that principle apply here? if so, then wouldnt a 20w50 be used more for warmer air temps than say colder air temps such as the winter? you wouldnt want that in your engine when its winter? intial start up etc???
Also in general would R.P. be an excellent upgrade in oil? As in there's peteroluem based synthetics and there's full synthetics that seem to coat the engine better, ie stronger and closer molecules with full synthetics than with part synthetics?
HighOctane ive read some of your forums and seem to very knowledgable id like to hear your take on this as well as everybody else. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks everyone..

Old 03-03-2009, 07:09 PM
DCT
Banned

I would NOT use 20W-50 in a vehicle with at 2W-50 or 0W-40 spec.

I'm also not a big RP fan. I prefer AMSOIL or Mobil 1. But in any case I wouldn't go with the weight oil that guy recommended.

If you really want to understand more about oil (or get more confused LOL), have a look at this site...

Bob is the Oil Guy

Old 03-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I agree with DCT.
I'm on other forums and not one person has recommended RP.
I wouldn't use the crap in my lawnmower

Old 03-03-2009, 07:14 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Excellent oil. Make sure you run the correct weight ie. 5W40 or 0W40.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Have used royal purple in my motorcycle and couldn't tell any difference in shifting,warm up, idling,or any thing else. Will stick with Mobil 1!!

Old 03-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO...Royal Purple is GREAT oil! I have been using it for 6yrs now in 2 of my auto's and super happy with the results. Added hp...and better fuel economy. I started using it on my '03 Honda Civic EX Vtec since the very first oil change at 5000 miles. Now I am at 105,000 and the engine runs like it was new. Did a spark plug change at 101,000 miles...and the plugs were Extremely clean...and didn't look OEM originals. I am SOLD on RP and think it is GREAT stuff!

Now...to the Polaris question...I would NOT use a 20w50 in a vehicle that called for 2w50. No way...No how! So...stick with Polaris oil...or find a different sync to use. Also...Please use a high quality oil filter. No point in using TOP oil...when you go cheap on the filter. Just my .02

biz
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-04-2009, 03:35 AM
Pro Rider

20W50 will not have the thin oil properties needed for a cold engine or a cold startup.
Read some of the posts about the exhaust cam lobes being ground out.
I think I read in one thread about Polaris going to the 0w50 oil becaues of this problem.
Please correct Me if I am wrong.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Trailblazer

Thank you every one for your input and experience on this! Sounds like Ams and RP are both great oils and will consider each one.
Now for the viscosity I'll look into that even more.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Of course im not going to even consider 20w50. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Biz what would you consider a high quality oil filter? I've heard wix's are good but apparently makes napa and some other filters as well. What about K&N's oil filters? Quality not quality?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

Howdy malibu94.......the Mobil M1-110 oil filter works very well. Keeps the oil cleaner than the stock oil filters. Just did this on mine and the oil doesn't get as dirty soon as with the stock filters. The M1-110 holds a bit more oil because the filter itself is a bit bigger plus the Mobil has more square inches of filter paper inside. I use only Polaris synthetic oil (#2876244) in my X2.........NoJoke

Old 03-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

I used RP in my '04 Dodge with the 5.7 Hemi and could tell no difference from any other oil I've ever ran. I switched to RP because the engine had a slight tick ,and I was told by several that the RP would make it go away.....it didn't.
I do use it in my pressure washer because I have several quarts left from my truck...the pressure washer seems to like the stuff.
If I ever try another high dollar oil it'll be the Amsoil.
I agree with others tho DO NOT use 20-50 bad things will happen!

Quick Reply: What does everyone think about using Royal Purple?