Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Belt Clutch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009 | 05:35 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Belt Clutch Problems

I have a 2001 Polaris Sportsman 500HO with EBS.
My quad is creeping.
I have installed a new belt, clutches are clean with no scars.
The quad only creeps if I travel 5 mph or so and stop. It will also stall sometimes.
If I go faster and stop the quad does not creep or stall
Does the same in forward or reverse
The driven pulley does have a small amount of play, I can pull and push the pulley in or out about 1/16".
I had a belt shred apart at the dunes, put on a new belt and it was fine for 50 miles or so. Went muddin when it started to acting up. No watetr or dirt got into the clutch area.
Center to center of pulleys is perfect.

What to check?

Thanks,
JOhn

Old 03-08-2009 | 05:57 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

What is your idle RPM

Old 03-08-2009 | 06:02 PM
|
Trailblazer

Idle speed is fine.

Old 03-08-2009 | 06:28 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Check the bushings in the clutch that ride on the shaft.They get bad and hang not letting the clutch fully disengage

Old 03-08-2009 | 07:00 PM
|
Trailblazer

Is there a bushing in both clutches? Can they be checked without removing the clutch? What do I look for, a crack?

Old 03-08-2009 | 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

the EBS bushing could be worn also. look for posts by "94harley" on here. he has detailed descriptions of what to do

Old 03-08-2009 | 09:00 PM
Quad Patrol

Push the front clutch in by hand and see if it comes ALL the way out.Take the outer part of the clutch off and clean the bushing that rides on the shaft

Old 03-12-2009 | 11:00 AM
|
Trailblazer

I check the drive clutch and it appears that it is not full disengaging. Can I apply a small amount of lube to the spring and the weight mounts to buy me a weekend of riding? I am headed to the dunes on spring break and can't get the clutch fixed until next month.
When I do get the clutch fixed I was thinking of upgrading to a different clutch that gives me more power for bigger tires. Is it cheaper to buy a all new ready built clutch or have it built reusing my old clutch?
How hard is it to rebuild it myself? I do not have the "special" tools. Where can I buy a ready built clutch? Do I need to upgrade the driven pulley?

Old 03-12-2009 | 12:00 PM
BPM
Range Rover

I bet its the spacing on the ebs. When the shims start to wear it does not like to line up with the groves in the belt. There are groves on the ebs sleeve which need to line up with the belt. If they don't the belt will ride up on top of it and cause it to lunge foward. I would start by makeing sure theres not a lot of side play in your ebs sleeve. If there is you will need to replace the shims.

Old 03-12-2009 | 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

do not ever put grease on any clutch,you may just have old belt baked in the clutch.take cover off and wash with a hose,let sit over night,try that first.dont buy any thing yet till you take it apart and clean it all moveing parts front and back

Quick Reply: Belt Clutch Problems