Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

REAL dumb plastic rivet question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REAL dumb plastic rivet question

Pardon the question as I am a newbie to this ATV stuff and on the race cars everything is seuz tabs.

Looks like to open the plastic rivets you simply insert a screwdriver in the slot and pop it out? How long are the rivets usually good for? I suspect that I want to throw some spares in my tool kit as it could be a pain having a loose body panel while out riding.

- brian

Old 03-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Ruggo

Pardon the question as I am a newbie to this ATV stuff and on the race cars everything is seuz tabs.

Looks like to open the plastic rivets you simply insert a screwdriver in the slot and pop it out? How long are the rivets usually good for? I suspect that I want to throw some spares in my tool kit as it could be a pain having a loose body panel while out riding.

- brian</end quote></div>

Yes,just pull the center pin out a little..it is separate from the outer portion and spreads the "rivet". Pop it up a little with a small flat tip and then use your fingers to pull the center "pin",you'll feel when it stops,then grab the outer portion and remove the rivet. If it is still kind of tight after you have pulled up the center pin it makes it easier if you can get to the back side and collapse it by squeezing with your fingers then just push the outer portion out of the panel.
It is ok if you do pull the center pin out of the rivet..won't hurt anything.
I think the little pliers in the tool kit are desined to grab the pin...but I always just pop them up a little with a flat tip and pull them with my fingers.

Having spares can't hurt but I've removed and re-installed them many times without breaking them and I have never one break or fall out while riding..maybe I'm lucky in that area? If so that would be on of the only areas..lol

Old 03-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Rod.....yea your real lucky never to have broken or lost one of them rivets ... lol

- brian

Old 03-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

actually the pliers that come in the toolkit work well. They don't mar up like they do when I try and use a screwdriver, lol.

Brian

Old 03-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't lost any either, I do have a few spare at home, I don't usually take them on rides, but I might now