Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Apprehensive buying a Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2001, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep wondering if there is enough zip with the Polaris Trailblazer. How does the transmission work?

I am used to riding 2-strokes and 4 strokes.
I am afraid that I might miss being able to downshift and put it in a power slide. Or put the front wheels in the air from the start. I have read some on mods to the clutch but, I don’t know how this works exactly.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I was Contemplating --Warrior ($5000) ‘vs’ Trailblazer ($3100)

Old 02-11-2001, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Faraday~
If you were considering the Warrior for $5000, why don't you look into a Scrambler. I know you could pick up a 2000 Scrambler 400 or 500 for less than $4500. Powerwise, the Trailblazer is a good entry quad to the Sport ATV market, but will produce limited thrills. Stepping up to a Scrambler is like going from a Blaster to a Banshee. There is always enough power on hand for a powerslide, and with some slight clutch mods, lifting the front end is not a problem from a standstill. The Warrior and any Polaris quad will require two different styles of riding. The Warrior has more of the dirtbike feel to it, while the Polaris has the wider tranny/engine and floorboards. After a while, it is not even noticeable. For the ultimate in performance, look for a Scrambler 400 2x4. There are plenty of aftermarket parts available to make the machine into a Banshee/Raptor slayer! The only drawbacks to the Polaris is a heavier weight and generally horrible dealership support. Good luck with your decision and post again with anymore questions

Old 02-11-2001, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

This first quad I purchased was a 2000 Trailblazer, Before that I had always had dirt bikes, And unknowingly thought the TB would have the same amount of power as my old KDX. Unfornutely though I wasnt satisfied with the power at all. I bought a rcr stage one kit about 2 months after I got the blazer and it did help some but no where near enough. The nail in the coffin was when I rode a co-workers 99 sport and man what a difference!! I sold my blazer and bought a 00 scrambler 2x4, The price range your in would be perfect for a 2x4 scrambler 400, there are plenty of mods available and it has a very good powerband in stock form. I was able to do a little shopping around and got mine for $4450 out the door. I guess what I am trying to say is before you decide which to buy, most reputable dealers should let you test ride what you want before commiting to buy, So ride a 400 before you go with a Yammy!! I think the trailblazer will leave alot to be desired for a experienced rider. Not to crack on the bkazer it is a VERY good machine for the money, but for the money a warrior is you can definetly get a 400!!

Old 02-11-2001, 11:08 PM
Range Rover

hey Faraday,get a banshee or Warrior or 400Ex if you want a 2x4 but if your looking for a sport 4x4 theres nothing even comes close to a 400 or 500 scrambler.
Hope this helps your decision/

Matt 2000 500 Scsrambler pulled by Z71

Old 02-12-2001, 08:36 PM
Trailblazer

So if I am to buy the more expensive of them...
I have the options of
a)Honda
b)Yamaha
c)Polaris
d)Kawasaki
I prefer to stay away from the Kawasaki's. They seem small framed and pokish. I have a couple of friends that swear by the Honda's. I have no personal experience with Polaris, except in this forum. So I am leaning toward Yamaha 'vs' Honda? These are high price machines. It seems like if all else was equal that Polaris would win the cost/benefit ratio. I have heard that Polaris has had a bad rap on customer service also. This makes me nervous.
If at all --possible can someone just send me a quad so all this decision making will be over

Old 02-13-2001, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

Faraday...in my garage i have a 2000 tblazer and a 99 warrior. They are completely different machines and not comparable in any way. on the tblazer you will not be able to lift the front wheels from a stand still [at least i havn't found a way]. the tblazer is better in the snow than the warrior. it is also much more user friendly [no shifting]. as mentioned it is an outstanding beginner quad. the warrior is built well and since it sits lower it may seem more stable to some. jumps seem much easier on the warrior because of the predictable power delivery of the manual clutch. if you are already used to a clutch and want to do jumps and wheelies then the warrior is probably better for you. on the other hand, your experience level may already be above the warrior level. the guy i bought my banshee from sold it to buy a scrambler. for him it had power enough to do all the things it seems you want to do plus it was better suited to mudding/ hunting than the banshee. don't forget to look at used machines if you don't need to finance. you can save thousands of dollars off new price and still get a like new machine sometimes with extras. the warrior in my garage was purchased last summer for 3500.00 and came with...full skid plates, dg bumper and grab bar, nurf bars, a complete set of 4 holeshots on ITP rims, an extra set of bear claws on the original rims and the original rear tires. the guy rode it for 3 months.