Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need help with annual maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:44 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with annual maintenance

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Tburg Jeff

well if i try to milk the nipple then I should get grease.

I will keep an eye on the brake bleeders. I did find some nipples/zirks on the bottom of the front axle where the tire is mounted......are those the bleeders. Also found a cut in the rubber cone sleeve from the axle to the tire with some fluid coming out, any ideas? brake fluid maybe?????

jeff</end quote></div>

Thats your CV boot, most likely the fluid is water mixed with the old grease inside the boot, you have to take off the torn boot and clean the CV joint ,repack the CV with new greases (Comes with new Boot) and replace the boot.

Do not hold the job off, Boots are cheap but the CV joint they protect are not.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

my god the work is piling up. now i see why people take their atv to the dealer for maintenance. I have a gut feeling when this thing breaks down I will be thankfull for having some knowledge about this machine. And if I wasn't looking for nipples I would have never found that little slice in the cv boot.............

I am going to buy some ramps to lift this baby off the ground about eight inches so I can work on it better.

Thanks TLC for your help about the cv boots. The gash is small only 1/2 an inch but there is a small puddle on the ground and yes I can see water getting in there. Especially with the puddles I go through.

Also thanks twister500 for the nipple/zirk info.

To add to my woes I can actually pull the key out of the machine and it will still run for a few seconds. Usually I just give er a jiggle and it cuts out to turn it off, but it seems to be getting worse over time, I don't use the kill switch to shut it down. Must be some bad contacts........any ideas?

thanks again everyone for your help

t jeff

Old 03-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

I bought my ATV floor square jack at Harbor Freight for like $60 I believe? I will be doing the same to my SP800 tomorrow.
Oil change, Front/Rear gear case, ADC gear, trans, etc. Yes it does add up. I did grease the zirk/nipples but after reading my
repair guide on maintenane I realized I missed the Front/Rear drive shafts, too busy looking at the A-Arms.

I asked my dealer today about the brake fluid and RAD antifreeze fluid change outs and he recommended like the book says every couple years unless you are running the QUAD HOT alot with issues then he said that could add contaminants in the RAD and should change out the RAD (service the RAD, inspect for mud/dirt/debris plugging the fins, spray wash out front and rear).

Regards,

R'