Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need help with annual maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with annual maintenance

hi

thanks for all of your help while I try to get my 04 sportsman 500 an up to date maintenance check-up. I bought it last year from my dealer up here in Canada. What my dealer does is send a guy down down to the states to all the repo auctions and buy up polaris atvs by the dozen. So I have a repo 04 that needs some TLC. Here are some more questions.......

1. How do I fill up the transmission fluid? Do I have to send a tube down the throat of the dipstick or is there some hidden cap to open? I want to change the fluid.

2. To change all of the oil I need to remove a small tube (according to the manual) to drain the extra oil inside the bottom of the pan or whatever it is . I have to put the tube back in but the manual states to put SPTFE tape (or maybe its SPFE, whatever) or loctite 505 to keep the tube from leaking. I have this pink plumbers tape, can I use that? Has anyone just said screw it and put the tube back in and haven't had any problems???

3. I noticed there is some kind of filter ---it looks like a gas filter but it isnt'---sitting above the oil filter in series with a quarter inch tube coming from the air filter box to somewhere else........should I care what this is?

4. How do I know where all of the grease nipples are. I do have a manual from the net but I just found some nipples behind the front tires.

Well thanks for all of your help during my learning curve, your advice in the past has saved me hundreds of dollars from the dealer.

jeff

Old 03-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

# 1 fill throught the dip stick
# 2 Drain oil tank, opposite side of tank on side of engine is a 14 mm sump drain plug,drain will get about 8 ounces oil out.IF machine REALLY lacks for maintenance then disconnect hose at tank,unscrew fitting and clean screen on the end of it (usually will be clean unless not well maintained. Can use teflon tape,liquid pipe sealant,MAYBE even the tape you have IF its like teflon tape,JUST so it doesnt leak! After new filter on add 1 3/4 quarts oil in tank,PINCH off vent line at top of tank about ONE inch out from nipple with vice grips,pliers,whatever! Has a small slit in tube for condensation so dont go too far out from tank fitting! Crank,let run for about 3 minutes,killl machine,release pliers from line and you should hear a HISS,this procedure is only needed when you remove oil fitting from tank so oil pump can prime up quickly! THEN check oil level,dipstick screwed all the way in,add to full mark if necessary(usually will)
#3 This is just the filter from the crankcase line to the air box. Just leave alone,make sure airbox clean,drain any oil/water,etc from box
#4 LOOK anywhere there is a bushing for a grease fitting,ALOT have been eliminated,but propshaft u-joints should have em.
Good luck

Old 03-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks polaris tech, I am going to work on my atv right now and we will see how it goes.

jeff

Old 03-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

#4 on above is critical, you definitely want to make sure you hit the zirk fittings, hit second drive shaft on your right footwell while you are filling tranny up, all of your suspension zirks, believe they are there.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

okay, so I will just keep looking for nipples. But what is a zirk fitting?

jeff

Old 03-19-2009, 10:10 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Tburg Jeff

okay, so I will just keep looking for nipples. But what is a zirk fitting?

jeff</end quote></div>

Its a grease fitting nibble you connect a grease gun on to. Not sure if there is that many on the 04, polaris added alot of sealed bearings and bushing then.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Range Rover

nipple = zirk = nipple

does that mean you can milk a polaris, someone once said you can milk anything with a nipple... maybe that's why most call it a grease zirk so there isn't any confusion...

Old 03-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you dont try to grease the brake bleeders!

Old 03-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

well if i try to milk the nipple then I should get grease.

I will keep an eye on the brake bleeders. I did find some nipples/zirks on the bottom of the front axle where the tire is mounted......are those the bleeders. Also found a cut in the rubber cone sleeve from the axle to the tire with some fluid coming out, any ideas? brake fluid maybe?????

jeff

Old 03-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2004 only has 3 grease fittings. One at the bottom of each strut facing the rear and one on the slip joint of the drive shaft. (that one can be a real pain to get)

Quick Reply: Need help with annual maintenance