Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Are the K&N Filters worth the extra money?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 06:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the K&N Filters worth the extra money?

I bought a K&N replacement simply because of economics. The paper filter was 19 bucks and the K&N was 20.

Haven't tried it yet though so I don't know about any power gains or anything.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CaptainQuint

I bought a K&N replacement simply because of economics. The paper filter was 19 bucks and the K&N was 20.

Haven't tried it yet though so I don't know about any power gains or anything.</end quote></div>

Wow that is a great price for a K&N...... Last time I bought one, which was for my old Warrior, it was around $60....

Old 03-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!

Haven't tried it yet though so I don't know about any power gains or anything.</end quote></div>

I am not worried about power gains from a K&N filter, just worried about small particles getting by......Caper........

Old 03-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: caperinmuskoka

I am not worried about power gains from a K&N filter, just worried about small particles getting by......Caper........</end quote></div>

Power gains on 99% of otherwise stock ATVs will be zero..especially on the Polaris'...the stock paper filter element is generally oversized for the engine..look at the filter on the 850..it is used on the 800 and numerous other Polaris ATVs..it is large enough to support well over the 850's 70hp..
Any gains that would come from a higher flowing filter would be caused the increased flow leaning the AFR..but I can tell you you aren't likely to notice any gains adding a K&N to a Polaris..I noticed nothing on the 850..zero..
I do like that they are reuseable..but then you have to buy the recharge kit obviously. And water doesn't ruin them. At the same time I agree with Caper..I just don't buy that they filter as well as paper..
I run the K&N during the winter and when it is rainy/wet. When it is dry and dusty I pop the paper filter in. The paper can be cleaned of some of some of the dry dust build up using compressed air ,blowing from inside the filter.
Using the outer cover and that procedure of only using it when it is dry and dusty the paper element will last quite a while..
If AMsoil made a EAa nano filter for the 850 I'd likely use that..filters like paper,maybe even better,98% efficient at 2 microns,but is washable and good for like 4 years of use.....oh and no oil..

Old 03-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

I am not worried about power gains from a K&N filter, just worried about small particles getting by......Caper........</end quote></div>

Power gains on 99% of otherwise stock ATVs will be zero..especially on the Polaris'...the stock paper filter element is generally oversized for the engine..look at the filter on the 850..it is used on the 800 and numerous other Polaris ATVs..it is large enough to support well over the 850's 70hp..

Any gains that would come from a higher flowing filter would be caused the increased flow leaning the AFR..but I can tell you you aren't likely to notice any gains adding a K&N to a Polaris..I noticed nothing on the 850..zero..

I do like that they are reuseable..but then you have to buy the recharge kit obviously. And water doesn't ruin them. At the same time I agree with Caper..I just don't buy that they filter as well as paper..

I run the K&N during the winter and when it is rainy/wet. When it is dry and dusty I pop the paper filter in. The paper can be cleaned of some of some of the dry dust build up using compressed air ,blowing from inside the filter.

Using the outer cover and that procedure of only using it when it is dry and dusty the paper element will last quite a while..

If AMsoil made a EAa nano filter for the 850 I'd likely use that..filters like paper,maybe even better,98% efficient at 2 microns,but is washable and good for like 4 years of use.....oh and no oil..</end quote></div>

Very well stated - I have seen oil analysis for engines with the K&N oil filer and they almost always show high silicon levels. This is an indicator of how well the air filter performs. The Oil on the K&N filter can also cause problems for EFI engines by contaminating the MAF sensor.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Pedge1

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

If AMsoil made a EAa nano filter for the 850 I'd likely use that..filters like paper,maybe even better,98% efficient at 2 microns,but is washable and good for like 4 years of use.....oh and no oil..</end quote></div>

Very well stated - I have seen oil analysis for engines with the K&N oil filer and they almost always show high silicon levels. The is an indicator of how well the air filter performs. The Oil on the K&N filter can also cause problems for EFI engines by contaminating the MAF sensor.</end quote></div>

That true I remember that now... I remember when I used to work for Ford and the 5.4 engines just came out. We were getting a ton of them in the shop where not only the MAF but the butterfly on the intake was getting all gummed up with K&N oil, and sticking closed.

I called K&N about this and they chalked it up to the users putting on too much oil, or not allowing proper drying time. Of course the truck owners were swearing to us that they did not use too much, that they'd been using K&Ns for years on other cars, they were letting them dry etc..etc....etc.....

Not matter what I did Ford would not cover any warranty work on damage they felt was the filters fault so a lot of pissed off customers were left to deal with K&N. But after that point if a customer wanted to get one I would tell them not to, at least on the 5.4L engines since that is where we saw most of the problems.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ss97

That true I remember that now... I remember when I used to work for Ford and the 5.4 engines just came out. We were getting a ton of them in the shop where not only the MAF but the butterfly on the intake was getting all gummed up with K&N oil, and sticking closed.

I called K&N about this and they chalked it up to the users putting on too much oil, or not allowing proper drying time. Of course the truck owners were swearing to us that they did not use too much, that they'd been using K&Ns for years on other cars, they were letting them dry etc..etc....etc.....

Not matter what I did Ford would not cover any warranty work on damage they felt was the filters fault so a lot of pissed off customers were left to deal with K&N. But after that point if a customer wanted to get one I would tell them not to, at least on the 5.4L engines since that is where we saw most of the problems.</end quote></div>

Yes that is a common problem,the oil contaminating the sensor..but in that case most times cleaning the sensor will solve the problem..as long as you also fix the source of the oil.. I've ran K&N style oiled filters on many Ford EFI machines,and ones with the sensor very close to the filter would seem to be the most susceptible..the late model 2 and 4v Mustangs have the sensor right behind the filter..and I really never had a problem..but I oiled the filter properly and kept the sensor clean..

OK..we are way off topic ...Polaris ATVs don't even have a MAF sensor,lol..

Old 03-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Without quoting all the posts, I had stopped by the local Moto-cross shop by my work today to pick up plugs. He builds alot of race bikes and works on alot of quads. I was sharing my loss of power issue and mentioned that I had a KN filter. The guy almost lost it. He was a huge fan back when they became available for bikes and quads and sold alot of them. But when he started seeing these same people bring there machines back for engine work the light bulb came on.
He had build up a quad for a friend and put a KN on it. 8 months later he brought it back because it was burning oil and when he took it apart he said it looked like someone hit it with a sand blaster.
Don't know about you, but I think I'll switch.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

i think i will stick with my uni

Old 03-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

I really believe the K&N 's are a valuable addition to your machine, and if dust as in you're riding behind someone most of the day, the K&N and pre-filter are a requirement. My wife rides behind 3 dirtbikes that leave dust as part of the air quality where we ride, and when I pull the airbox lid on the Poo 800 X2, the pre-filter catches all most everything, and the trusty filter does the rest, so, don't skimp on a important piece that will keep your engine free of debris

Quick Reply: Are the K&N Filters worth the extra money?