Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help no spark

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 12:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help no spark

Howdy, I'm new on here. I own a '02 Polaris 325cc Trailboss
I kinda inherited it after the owner left it down in a holler for two years. I cant get it out there to take it in to have fixed so I have been working on it where it was left. I look forward to riding outta there some day soon with it.

Anyway, I ripped it apart and changed all the fluids and the spark plug. Then removed the carb and took it home where I cleaned it up real good. I was good till this point cause I had it running but instead of driving out I decided I would finish all my work on it since it was still disassembled. I bought a brand new battery for it and when I was installing it I guess I was to excited cause I made a real dumb mistake and put the leads on backwards. This toasted something cause now it does not get spark.

So my question is:
What parts do I need to replace and how should I test them so I dont waste my time and money with the unnessasary parts.

One more thing..everything else seems to work fine...starter turns the moter, lights work. Just no spark.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me...

Old 03-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Help no spark

Ok I read some simular posts on here. Tomorrow I will go buy an ohm meter and wait for a reply on what to check

Old 03-21-2009, 06:35 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help no spark

welcome to the forum. did you actually pull out the plugs to check for fire while turning it over and maybe using the hand recoil as well to check for fire. not sure about that bike, but wondering if theirs a fuse link somewhere in the line that you tripped w/ the backwards lead change. well just took a look and their is 2 links that i see. one for the fan, and another looks like its in the battery cable but seems if it is and you can turn the bike over w/ the starter then it would be working and not tripped. i would check all connections as well to make sure theres no corrsion built up either on grounds and main wires. imo

Old 03-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help no spark

you fried your cdi box. dc electronics do not like reversed polarity. fuses on the other hand do not care what direction the juice is flowing. that doesnt change the amount of heat the fuse gets. heat is what blows the fuse.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Help no spark

Thanks, is there a way to check before I spend 300 bucks?