Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

850xp lower ball joint broke

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:27 AM
BPM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850xp lower ball joint broke

Just a heads up for you Xp owners out there. Sat my lower front ball joint broke when i flew over a driveway. I was only going about 15mph. Maybe 3' or 4' in the air came down on my left front wheel and snap over I went. the wheeler didn't roll it just laid there on its side. It wrinkled the lower A-arm pretty good bent the rim and tie rod end. It's kinda scary, i normaly ride a lot harder than that. Every thing else looks great no damage to anything other parts.
Maybe some cheap China parts?
The ball joint split length wise?

Just another paper weight i guess!

Old 03-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Trailblazer

i wouldnt say cheap parts, i would say coming down on the left side from 4ft in the air caused it, hope u get it up and running soon.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:51 PM
BPM
Range Rover

Never had any problems with my 700 like that. And I beat the hell out of that. 5' to 6' air was no problem. And i didn't even feel the suspension bottom out.
The 700 only has 1 lower a-arm and a strut. You would think with having 2 a-arms it would be more durable than the old Sportsmans. Maybe I should have waited a year or two for them to work the bugs out.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

Yikes..that sucks...guess you weren't hurt luckily?
Did you land front left tire first? What were you jumping..did something go wrong with the jump? Soory for all the questions..just curious as I've had mine the air quite a few times..I always come down on the rear first nice and smooth. The XP is way heavier in the rear than up front and seems to jump pretty good to me. One place I get air is a slight mound with a drop off on the otherside..probably get about 5-6' and I land at about 30-35 mph.....maybe i should stop that..lol
But if you landed one tire first and at a bad angle I wouldn't be suprised at breaking a ball joint..
Anyway thanks for the heads up I'll definitely be taking a close look at the ball joints..
Could you post up a pic of the damage?

Old 03-23-2009, 02:13 PM
BPM
Range Rover

Nope didn't get hurt nocked the wind out of me. When i lunched all was good but when i was coming down one of the rear tires caught the edge kicked my rear end up and came down on my left front wheel first. I didn't think much of it. It's happen a many times on my 700 so I road it trough. I took picture's of the ball joint and the arm, but the rim got bent from the a-arm hitting it. I'll post them soon. I haven't done it yet so it maybe a day or two.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:27 PM
BPM
Range Rover

Name:  Xpa-armballjoint005.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  116.8 KBName:  Xpa-armballjoint002.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  144.1 KB
TESTING

Old 03-23-2009, 03:45 PM
DCT
Banned

Yep... that's bent. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Bout the only thing you can save out of that mess is the grease fittings.

Guess they weren't made to fly (and land on one wheel).

Good luck fixing it.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

Holy crap..... man that bent. Glad you didn't get hurt!

- brian

Old 03-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Trailblazer

yep same thing happind to me today i was following some pals on there sp 08 800s
and me on my xp was going around 12 mph and went through a bit of mud and when comming out my front hit a little hard and the ball joint snapped off and upper and lower a arms broke off and the tire was only being held on by the brake line now i was NOT going very fast the guys infront of me were going faster and hit the same thing with no problems i just came back from the dealers they said it looks like the ball joint had a crack in it and let go so now im waiting for them to hearback from polaris to see if they will cover it i REALY HOPE THEY COVER IT sorry i have no pictures i went rite from the trail to the dealers shop i will let you all know how this turns out i realy like the xp however i may be looking to trade down to a 800 i did not buy this xp to baby it i bought it to ride it
and if this is all it taks to destroy the front end of this bike its going by by

Old 03-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Sorry to hear that I think we are on our way to a ball joint recall, kinda the same problem that Jeep Liberty's have had!

Quick Reply: 850xp lower ball joint broke