Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Anyone use their popo for work outside of personal use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daledo
I live right outside of Charlotte Nc, and have 1/3 acre , maybe 6 inches of snow per year if any so no plowing . Trying to figure out a way to use my wheeler. Tried pulling the aerator with it. seemed to tear up the yard (tires) and couldn't turn very well compared to pulling it with the zero turn lawn mower. And dads dead set to work the garden with the Farmall Cub rather than a fourwheeler Any ideas for my area? i dont care bout the money would just like to site on my wheeler other than just the weekends. i guess maybe a weed application with a boom sprayer. (would have to get my chemical license though)
sounds like you need turf mode on the wheeler. id like to have it also. but its n/a on mine... i want it tho...

Old 03-31-2009, 04:46 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Daledo, you can make alot of money applying herbicide and fertilizer. If you built this business up it is all you would need. All the equipment you would need is your wheeler with a rack mounted sprayer, a good push spreader like a lesco or spyker, backpack sprayer for "trim" work, a pull behind spreader for larger areas, and a little knowledge about turf management. Sounds like you have a zero turn mower, so put it to work too. As long as the mower is a commercial one you'll be fine with it. I've seen many people over the years start mowing lawns with the riding mower that they "have". I also see them quit after a year or two when they figure out that the maintenance on their mower is killing them. The Biggest hurdle in this industry is starting off with the right equipment. If your going to do it, do it right. The days of starting a lawn care business with a new $1000 rider with a car puling a 4x8 homemade trailer are over. These days you have to spend $10,000 on a good commercial quality mower, otherwise your not operating a peak efficientcy.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer

I dont know what I ever did before I got my sportsman. Best thing ever for building fence, checking cows, scouting crops etc...

Old 03-31-2009, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

use my toy to drag logs out of the woods when cutting firewood...amazing just how much they will pull!

Old 04-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Trailblazer

I got lucky with the mower. Dad bought a 60'' eXmark to mow our yard and grandparents next door so about 4 years ago I started mowing with really no overhead other than gas and maintenance. I only do about 10 yards and it seems like its really not what I want to do the rest of my life though it is good money

Old 04-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

Daledo, sounds your to the point in your life you are deciding on your future. What are your interests? If you are looking for careers that invole quads there are some. Most of them require some post secondary eduction to really make any money. For EX, crop consultant, surveyoer, gps mapping, soil testing, to name a few. You need to find out what you enjoy and go for it. I was gooing to college to be a teacher and was in my last semester doing my student teaching when I decided HELL NO! I've done lawn care for 28 years and I'm only 33, I could not stand to be confined to a desk inside. Teaching was not ever going to pay me what I make now or in the past. Before I went college, I thought lawn care was not what I wanted either, but now it's what I do.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Range Rover

About a month ago I was called into work during a major snow storm & could not get my truck out of the driveway so I took my bike. Later in the day I had to haul someone out who was stuck in the parking lot he had a Jeep 4 x 4 lol. That is the extent of using it for work.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

i put an add on craigslist. iv gotten 4 people wanting snow removed. this summer i may have one yard to spray for weeds, and one driveway to grade. if i dont get an actual job, supose this will do for now. i wont get rich tho.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

I am a cop, I ride mine about once a week for about 4 hours - in the warmer weather - I do search and rescue, general patrol etc.

Yep - I'm a popo, riding a popo!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 03:08 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by chuck_raduenz
i put an add on craigslist. iv gotten 4 people wanting snow removed. this summer i may have one yard to spray for weeds, and one driveway to grade. if i dont get an actual job, supose this will do for now. i wont get rich tho.
If you're looking for snow removal jobs start focusing on your market -The Elderly. Putting up notes on senior center bulletin boards, put ads in the newspaper and print up business cards. Get them into the hands of your market.

I know a guy who does snow removal, lawn maintenance and light odd jobs and the older folks are really a good market. If you're honest, polite, do a thorough quality job and treat them right then word of mouth will go a long ways to getting you more work that you can handle.

With a notable exception or two, if you're ambitious and aren't afraid of hard work you can do extremely well mowing yards and plowing snow.

Quick Reply: Anyone use their popo for work outside of personal use?