Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Tracks!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Firehog, I'm new to this forum stuff, most of the time I go what the heck are they talking about.
I do know a little about ATV tracks, you will like the track setup. I have a 800 touring with the Tatou 4S tracks and I found that it will go places that a snowmobile would get stuck just looking at.
The winch will pull you out of most places if you get stuck, need a real good tree for a anchor, tighten the cable until the front of the wheeler starts to pull down and go real lite on the gas, you will crawl out.
The thing you will most notice is the amount of gas you will burn, my mileage with tracks is about half of what I get when running tires.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No worries, Mongrol, you're not stealing my thread. I was hoping to hear from some others like you who have tracks.

800 Touring, I did notice the extra fuel spent with the tracks on. Not feeling it, the popo already gets crappy mileage! LOL! Better invest in spare fuel cans!

Old 04-02-2009, 05:46 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

I wonder how many guys on this site have tracks?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

Congrats on the new tracks FireHog!
One of these days I'd like to have a set for my XP.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I thought about it since last winter. After hearing mongrol rave about his and wtfidaho had all good things to say about them, as well as all the youtube videos out there, I decided to give them a try. Damn this forum anyway! It loves to manage my money! LOL! Well, I've only been out once, but I love them and I'm glad I bought them. It is nearing the end of the snow season here, but I'm looking forward to being able to ride it all year long. I have a lot of friends who have sleds and have been bugging me to buy a sled, but this will suffice and they are happy now!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:56 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

BINGO ! Another quadder addicted to Tracks. Have fun !

Old 04-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

id rather spend 2-3k on tracks than on a snowmobile!

Old 04-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Track check

Originally Posted by firehog
Here's some pics of my new tracks, Prospector Pro S by Polaris. These are the bomb! After the install, I pulled it out of the garage and noticed my popo is bigger than the wife's mini cooper! LOL!
Fire...Can you do me a favor and check something out on your rig.....I noticed on my Pro S tracks that the front track stabilizers (anti-rotation assembly) move around a bit when twisted side to side. They don't seem to seat tight against the track frame. I've looked at this over and over and am just figuring that's the way it's supposed to be. Dealer doesn't know because nobody has asked before and they never noticed. Not sure if I'm missing a washer.....doesn't look like it according to the directions. Does your move when you twist it? Attached a pic of the spring unit. It moves at the bolt.

Attached Thumbnails New Tracks!-stabilizer_text.jpg  
Old 04-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default Pre-ride track maintenance.

Originally Posted by firehog
I took it out for the first time in the snow yesterday.
Fire, Make sure you check the torque on your track lug nuts regularly. I, in my infinite wisdom neglected this task after the second day of riding and 3 of the four nuts fell off a couple weeks after install! Good thing I was in my driveway when the left rear track went CRUNCH. I stopped and couldn't immediately figure out what was wrong.....until I noticed a twisted in half lug bolt lying in the snow next to the track. Kicked the track and it fell off the machine. Not fun. Had to order new lugs and nuts. -Not to preach, but also make sure you lube the tracks a bit and get some lube on the front stabilizers (manual shows exactly where).

Last edited by FunRide; 04-02-2009 at 10:39 PM. Reason: wording
Old 04-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

funride, thanks for the tip. I look over my quad pretty good after almost every ride when I clean it. I figured with the tracks I better be religious about it. I will make sure to retorque my lug nuts. I haven't paid attention to the twisting of the front stabilizer thing, but I will take a look at it when I get off work sunday. It would make sense to me that it would allow for some rotation and movement, though.

Getting off topic a bit, I have a funny story about one of my sledding friends......he had tuned his sled in his garage the night before a ride. While doing so, he wired the throttle wide open (not sure why). Well, when he showed up at the trail with his sled (he forot he still had the throttle wired wide open) he pulled the starter and away it went! It fired off across the parking lot like a missile and launched into the woods! Thank God nobody got hurt. It was so damn funny, though! The lesson learned is to constantly look over your equipment and don't overlook it! Sad thing is, a year or so later, he burned up 6 of his sleds in his trailer by putting a propane heater inside the trailer to thaw it out! Mix a heat source with gasoline and....well....you get the picture. Oh, and none of them was insured! I won't tell you what he does for a living!

Quick Reply: New Tracks!