Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

coil pack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coil pack?

Question for you guys. I think its the coil pack correct me if I'm wrong. 2002 700 twin, I've had some other issues that you guys addressed, this one is what old polaris tech told me all along. I can start up my machine great and runs sweet, I can run up and down the countryside. But after I've run it for a while and turn it off for a few minutes and then try to start it again, its a bear to start and fires really slowly. I was reading another thread that a guy said it was his coil pack. Would a coil pack cause this. Like I said once its running its great, but once it warms up its a bear to start. I actually have to crank it hard and give it a little throttle to get her firing. Its got a whole new carb basically so I don't think it could be that. Any insight? Seems electrical to me. Thanks

Old 04-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar issue (except on my truck, not my quad). The dealer replaced the coil packs 12 times (on a V8, lol) before I finally figured out it was a crank position sensor. I don't know if Polaris's have cps, but whatever the equivalent is would be worth looking into as well.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by clyde53534
Question for you guys. I think its the coil pack correct me if I'm wrong. 2002 700 twin, I've had some other issues that you guys addressed, this one is what old polaris tech told me all along. I can start up my machine great and runs sweet, I can run up and down the countryside. But after I've run it for a while and turn it off for a few minutes and then try to start it again, its a bear to start and fires really slowly. I was reading another thread that a guy said it was his coil pack. Would a coil pack cause this. Like I said once its running its great, but once it warms up its a bear to start. I actually have to crank it hard and give it a little throttle to get her firing. Its got a whole new carb basically so I don't think it could be that. Any insight? Seems electrical to me. Thanks
BE SURE to check stator specs also! I screwed the pooch a couple weeks ago and just replaced a coil pack and DIDNT check the stator( which ended up causing the coil pack to go out!) In a nut shell the stator superceded to a new complete stator,flywheel,coil and cdi system. I was able to send back the coil pack(minus restocking),BUT a lot of dealers,powersport,auto and such wont take back ELECTRICAL components! LOOK before you leap. On this one I didn't!!!! Sad commentary on this matter is that Polaris still has coil packs available and probably will sell em all! If you purchase one and then the stator goes south,THEN you will have to get the new system with cdi and coil individual!! Just trying to eliminate extra and possible unecessary expense! The DUCATI elec system is being replaced with a great JAP system!! Good luck OPT