Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman XP NOT LEGAL IN WISCONSIN !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009 | 10:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by BPM
You said it HO i'm with you 100%. I think i'm going to pull off the 850xp decal's and have 800efi put in its place. Maybe this will keep the trail police off my butt. Because I'm heading to the big cheese state next month for a ride up in iron river.
I already have every sticker off my machine. I am debating putting 800cc logos on it but am wondering if the penalty for fraud is worse than no registration.

Old 04-22-2009 | 06:44 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

Screw them Wisconsin tree huggers, in my book the rims do not make the difference on whether you can ride the trails in Wisconsin or not, it's the rider and what type of damage you do to a area. We need to get on the DNR in Wisconsin about their silly A$$ laws, I mean come on, sell fireworks right across the border and that is ok to have kids attempting to burn down the forests, but when yo ugo riding over there, they're worried about 14" rims? Give me a break

Old 04-22-2009 | 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by uncertifiedmechanic
Screw them Wisconsin tree huggers
I kind of doubt it's the "tree huggers". It's the state. They're trying to keep "jeep-like" machines off the trails from what I understand. Is it an effective law, no.

Old 04-22-2009 | 09:15 PM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

In all the years I've ridden the trails over in Wisconsin from down South at Black River Falls, Grantsburg, and North up in in Iron River going East, never seen a Jeep, Suzuki, or any other 4x4 on the trails. But it is getting the same way with the sledding, so when the Wisconsin or "state" idiots finally run their only form of tourism out of the state, then let's see if they call the President for a bail out

Old 04-22-2009 | 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by uncertifiedmechanic
so when the Wisconsin or "state" idiots finally run their only form of tourism out of the state, then let's see if they call the President for a bail out
I hear ya. Bad for tourism for sure. I'm thinking you can find some documentation on the matter, if you care to do some research. There's got to be some kind of original reason that made sense to somebody. Might be worth looking into. Law needs to be changed. Some fool thought he/she was doing the right thing.

Old 04-22-2009 | 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by BPM
You said it HO i'm with you 100%. I think i'm going to pull off the 850xp decal's and have 800efi put in its place. Maybe this will keep the trail police off my butt. Because I'm heading to the big cheese state next month for a ride up in iron river.
not a good idea. i told that to one of the polaris deals if i got one to take off the 850 and put a 800 decal on it. the dealer said thre was one guy who did that in mn and he got pulled over and still got a ticket. im guessing they looked at the vin. so it dont make a differance if theres a differnt deal on it. im guessing you will still get pulled over and check evon if it is a 800.

Old 04-22-2009 | 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

all the dumbass county mounties around here wouldnt know the first place to find the vin. they couldnt tell the difference between a 250 and 850

Old 04-23-2009 | 04:52 AM
Pro Rider

What about the 550 xp, is that legal to ride in wi? The 550 is built with the same wheels and frame just a smaller motor right? So that would make the 550 illegal also.

Old 04-23-2009 | 06:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

all xp machines....any machine with 14"wheels is illegal.

Old 04-23-2009 | 12:42 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by FunRide
I kind of doubt it's the "tree huggers". It's the state. They're trying to keep "jeep-like" machines off the trails from what I understand. Is it an effective law, no.
That's exactly what the law does.

Why is everyone complaining about the WI state government? It isn't their fault, this law was in place long before Polaris went and built these things. If they didn't take the time to make sure they would be legal to use in one of their biggest markets, that is their problem. They could have avoided this mess by simply making 12" wheels standard and the 14" wheels an option.

Polaris needs to step up here, recognize their mistake, and do the right thing. If possible, they should recall them and retrofit them with 12" wheels. If they did this by a recall, it would probably make them legal. If that wouldn't make them legal they should buy the machines back from people that live or ride in WI, or they could exchange them for a new one that could be fitted with 12" wheels from the factory. This wouldn't be a complete loss because they could resell the used machines in other areas where they are legal.

Quick Reply: Sportsman XP NOT LEGAL IN WISCONSIN !!