Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman XP NOT LEGAL IN WISCONSIN !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009 | 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Raven95150
Polaris needs to step up here, recognize their mistake, and do the right thing. If possible, they should recall them and retrofit them with 12" wheels. If they did this by a recall, it would probably make them legal. If that wouldn't make them legal they should buy the machines back from people that live or ride in WI, or they could exchange them for a new one that could be fitted with 12" wheels from the factory. This wouldn't be a complete loss because they could resell the used machines in other areas where they are legal.
LOL...that is funny! For one not everyone who rides and ATV does so on public land..nor does any manufacturer make the claim that their machine is legal to ride on public land in any State in the nation...IMO it is up to the citizen to know the law where they intend to ride and make sure they buy a machine that conforms. I agree it sucks for those who want an XP but also want it to be legal..but saying Polaris should recall all the machines sold in WI or retrofit to fit a 12" wheel?(which by the way would require a major redisign of the front suspension and cause the machine to loose alot of it's anti-kick back and easy steering properties that XP owners rave about) Come on?
They already have to paste safety warnings all over the things and offer free safety training,have dealers talk to you about safety ect..what's next stickers that warn potenetial buyers that the machine might not be legal to ride on public land? That is part of the reason we have so many rules that people think are stupid..no one wants to take responsibility..JMO

I don't think Polaris made a mistake...I bet they knew full well that the machines were illegal for lublic land use in those States..should they really design a machine around the laws of one or 2 states,especially when those laws only pertain to public land and trail use? I know the public trails is a big deal..but just because they can't be ridden on the public land doesn't make them outright illegal in those states does it? Look at it from this angle how about if you lived in a state where there were less restrictions and you couldn't buy a machine with XYZ specs because it was illegal for public land use in 2 states in the country?

Old 04-23-2009 | 04:52 PM
Trailblazer

As I understand it from the WATA forums the XP cannot run 14" wheels because of design and clearance issues. My assumption is that they knew about the law issue in one of 50 states and figured it would be a heck of a lot easier to get a new law passed when a bunch of people owned them and we griping to their congressman about them. For those that did not know about this issue I blame the dealer for not telling them, I know my dealer warned me of this issue before I bought it, and I am not even is Wisconsin (Illinois).

Old 04-23-2009 | 05:02 PM
Range Rover

Well,I own an XP.I was told by the dealer Before I purchased it that it was'nt legal per the current rules.Although the registrations were still going through.

I again "I" made the choice to purchase one.I currently have my tags revolked.

I ride on private land and am planning a out of state trip.....

And yes Polaris has a lobbying group working on this with the help of the WATVA.

Not Polaris or my dealers fault!

Here's a link to a thread at WATVA.Alot of OFF Topic posts but some good info:
New 850xp Not Allowed On Wisconsin Atv Trails? - Wisconsin ATV Association Forums

Last edited by triplggg; 04-23-2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: add link
Old 04-23-2009 | 06:07 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE
I know the public trails is a big deal..but just because they can't be ridden on the public land doesn't make them outright illegal in those states does it?
According to the regulations, yes it does. The DNR is revoking the registrations on XPs, and all ATVs that are kept in WI for more than 15 days must have a WI registration, even if operated only on private land.

Old 04-23-2009 | 06:21 PM
Trailblazer

According to the regulations, yes it does. The DNR is revoking the registrations on XPs, and all ATVs that are kept in WI for more than 15 days must have a WI registration, even if operated only on private land.
OK Now thats the first time I hear that and if thats true then I would be really peeved off.

Old 04-23-2009 | 06:53 PM
Range Rover

You are right,In the Wisconsin All-Terrain Vehicle Laws pamplet it states that...

BUT, if you recieved a letter revolking your registration it states in part:

"It is our understanding that Polaris Industries is seeking legislation to adjust Wisconsin's defininition of an ATV so that it will include the XP series.Until such legislation is passed,your machine can only be legally operated on private property with permission and on frozen waterways."

Last edited by triplggg; 04-23-2009 at 07:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-23-2009 | 06:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 14"

either polaris knows something we don't or they dropped the ball.... i know i wouldn't be to happy with my dealer if they sold me a machine that was illegal on every trail in my state( i live in a province but close enough)

Old 04-23-2009 | 07:01 PM
Range Rover

Again.... I made the choice.I was informed.I'm still a happy and proud owner!

Old 04-23-2009 | 07:08 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by triplggg
Again.... I made the choice.I was informed.I'm still a happy and proud owner!
Same here they warned me and I made the choice. I would not look back in a second.

Old 04-24-2009 | 06:34 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

Glad ya'll XP owners are happy with your rides, sure would be nice to show 'em off on the the Wisconsin trails too, don't yah think? Ca't imagine what Iron River, all the way over to Hurley tourism is saying about ya'll not ridin' their trails, spending money on Gas and Food

Quick Reply: Sportsman XP NOT LEGAL IN WISCONSIN !!