Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Lost engine braking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 06:50 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its your secondary(the back clutch) is the issue. for one thing its suppose to be closed tight and the belt is riding on top (about 1/8"above) on ebs clucthes such as that the belt is actually suppose to be tight. its like your trying to start your standard car in 3rd gear instead of 1st. take off the secondary(tranny clutch) and see if the spring is broke(like mentioned above) and if you dont know to fix it just take the clutch to the dealer to have them take it apart and fix as it will alot cheaper then taking the whole bike.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:13 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to mail them to me, I can go through them for yah, and see if there is any damage, if not rebuild them, put any new parts in that are needed or if you want to go with a aftermarket set up for bigger tires, etc.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:25 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by plumbob
Your problem is in your secondary.Either a broken spring,worn out buttons,or a trashed helix.Your secondary is sticking open and not taking up the belt slack.
Like he said.

Buttons #12 $2.41
Spring $17

If the sheaves are good the most exspensive part is a ramp for $36. #21

Here is the price list. http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2002&fveh=5582

Thats why I like the belt drive system if they do go wrong there cheap and easy to work on.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer

Ok thanks guys I really appreciate the advice. So I should take the clutches apart? I dont care for bigger tires yet i'm fine with it as is. I just want it to move again lol.

So in general, what I need to pull off is the left secondary and inspect parts for broke parts and such. The right one is ok? I'll give this an attempt tomorrow.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Range Rover

Polaris primary's are farily easy to work on. I havent done one myself but observed as the one I bought for my Skidoo (there stock primary is crappy in that it's all closed in and holds belt dust and heat), and had my buddy put weight's and springs in.

Secondary I've never opened up, only opened up a Team secondary once and that was easy.

Don't be to worried about working on them but you do need a clutch puller bolt to get the primary off. It screws in into the primary and pushes into the crank rode till it shoved the secondary off (as in the video of coures)

Just ask the forum questions if you need help. I've seen guys that have never even looked at a snowmobile engine do a full rebuild thanks to help from a forum. Torque specs, hints, tips, everything im sure someone will help! I've worked on sleds but not atv's so wish I could help more than this.

*edit*
And thinking of it, could check ebay. I bought a empty polaris primary re tapered for a skidoo for 132 shipped. Basically a custom cut clutch. Another 60 I think to get a spring and weight in it, can't remember. But to buy a fully stock one with weights and spring should be about that or better. Secondary, people seem to almost just give those away. Take a peak!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by TheJcode
Polaris primary's are farily easy to work on. I havent done one myself but observed as the one I bought for my Skidoo (there stock primary is crappy in that it's all closed in and holds belt dust and heat), and had my buddy put weight's and springs in.

Secondary I've never opened up, only opened up a Team secondary once and that was easy.

Don't be to worried about working on them but you do need a clutch puller bolt to get the primary off. It screws in into the primary and pushes into the crank rode till it shoved the secondary off (as in the video of coures)

Just ask the forum questions if you need help. I've seen guys that have never even looked at a snowmobile engine do a full rebuild thanks to help from a forum. Torque specs, hints, tips, everything im sure someone will help! I've worked on sleds but not atv's so wish I could help more than this.

*edit*
And thinking of it, could check ebay. I bought a empty polaris primary re tapered for a skidoo for 132 shipped. Basically a custom cut clutch. Another 60 I think to get a spring and weight in it, can't remember. But to buy a fully stock one with weights and spring should be about that or better. Secondary, people seem to almost just give those away. Take a peak!
Thanks for your post. It does help me out. I will give this a shot. Precisely why i'm here, for help. I thought to myself either pay hundreds at the Polaris shop and not learn anything or save some money ( which I have to do lately ) and do it myself to learn something, and boost my self confidence since i'm not hard into mechanic works.

Ok new question, where can I get the Clutch Puller Bolt at?

I'm also working with manual sockets, no air power tools or torque wrenches, just to mention.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Trailblazer

This is the part I need correct?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLAR...Q5fAccessories

And its the driveline clutch to pull out correct? I keep thinking its the primary I need to pull out.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you dont need a clutch puller for the back (secondary)clutch which is not hooked the engine. just take out the center bolt. the clutch will slide off. this is the problem clutch.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by stendori
you dont need a clutch puller for the back (secondary)clutch which is not hooked the engine. just take out the center bolt. the clutch will slide off. this is the problem clutch.
Thanks! Greatly appreciate it!

Old 04-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Trailblazer

I quickly removed the secondary clutch sucessfully. I'm a bit confused on pulling it apart so I may leave it to the Polaris shop to fix, but I did get it removed. Belt looks decent to me but I think i'll replace it anyways, i've put 800 miles on it since I got it 1600 miles so it might need one.

I shook the clutch in my hands and there is a rattling/shaking sound inside, normal? or a sign that there is indeed a broken part inside?

Stendori remember how you explained the C clip removal and everything to me, could you write that process out for me? I might give it a try, confidence is high right now lol.

Quick Reply: Lost engine braking?