Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Exhaust getting cherry red?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Exhaust getting cherry red?

I HAVE A 97 SPORTSMAN ITS BEEN RUNNING LIKE s**t about half throttle its fine but when you open her up it just pops, now the steps i took where, cleaned the tank,cleaned and dismantled the carb 3 times check the spark plug,changed the exhaust back to stock changed the fuel pump. it idles fine,also about 5 min of riding under load the exhaust get cherry red at the manifold, all this happened after i got stuck in a 1 1/2 ft mud hole that took damn near an hour for me and my buddy to get it out that a different story lol does not over heat. so any ideas would be great to getting this bastard back on the trails!!!!!!

Old 04-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Trailblazer

This means it is running to rich not burning all the fuel in combustion. fuel ends up in the exhaust. You may possibly have weak ignition. Did you try and clean out the stator? Allso may be ignition coil on the way out.

Some things to try. Hope it helps. I will let you know if I can think of any thing else.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 03fatboy
This means it is running to rich not burning all the fuel in combustion. fuel ends up in the exhaust. You may possibly have weak ignition. Did you try and clean out the stator? Allso may be ignition coil on the way out.

Some things to try. Hope it helps. I will let you know if I can think of any thing else.
If it was running rich he would not get the glowing pipe cause the unburned fuel would cool it. He is running a lean condition. You may have some jets in the carb or some air passage/vacuum line clogged with mud.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how did the plug look?? if its running red hot pipes its because its running lean, too much air ,not enough fuel to cool it. also the older sportsmans wear having cam issues acting like some of these issues wear the lobes would wear off and not letting the valves open which would make it run hotter as well. imo.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer

I guess you guys dont rember when cars had carburators and the choke would stick and dump fuel and the exhaust would glow red hot.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

yes sir i do remeber back in the 70's were i have seen it happen but pretty sure that isnt the issue on his wheeler at this time.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:44 PM
DCT
Banned

Originally Posted by BEACHO77
I HAVE A 97 SPORTSMAN ITS BEEN RUNNING LIKE s**t about half throttle its fine but when you open her up it just pops, now the steps i took where, cleaned the tank,cleaned and dismantled the carb 3 times check the spark plug,changed the exhaust back to stock changed the fuel pump. it idles fine,also about 5 min of riding under load the exhaust get cherry red at the manifold, all this happened after i got stuck in a 1 1/2 ft mud hole that took damn near an hour for me and my buddy to get it out that a different story lol does not over heat. so any ideas would be great to getting this bastard back on the trails!!!!!!
Could the muffler be blocked? If that is not it, and it is idling fine, and running fine at 1/2 throttle, I would suspect it is running lean.

As already suggested, how does the plug look... fouled (black) or lean (whitish)?

Old 04-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

the wall thickness of the exhaust is very thin and glows when running. Pull your wheeler in the garage and run it with the lights off, the pipes glow.
As far as the poping, I say it could be lean at the main jet.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Pro Rider

Hot pipes mean lean, look at the year of this 500 fellas. Personally for FYI I would look at valve lash and inspect the cam. Those things were known for the exhaust lobe wearing off. Then go at the diaphragm in the carb, make sure all of that is free. I'm thinking this might be two issues on this thing.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

Originally Posted by drlang
Hot pipes mean lean, look at the year of this 500 fellas. Personally for FYI I would look at valve lash and inspect the cam. Those things were known for the exhaust lobe wearing off. Then go at the diaphragm in the carb, make sure all of that is free. I'm thinking this might be two issues on this thing.

this is why i mentioned this=(also the older sportsmans wear having cam issues acting like some of these issues wear the lobes would wear off and not letting the valves open which would make it run hotter as well. imo.
i also agree that if a bad diaphr. could be the issue. good call for sure.