Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Lift Kit problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Kit problem

Hey guys I have a 2004.5 sportsman 500 HO. I just installed a 2 inch lift kit with 26" Mudlight XL's. I thought I would give the bike a little test ride to see how it felt and well.... I have a knocking that sounds like it is coming from the cv joints and the steering is pulling all over the place. I have only moved the bike about 30' and thought I would ask all of you for your thoughts.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just checked the shafts aswell. How tight are they supposed to be? The right side has no play what at all, but the left side moves in and out very slightly.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Question

A little more info. I removed the lift kit and put everything back to its original configuration. While it was still on the jack I started the bike and switched it into AWD. The clunk was originally there but is now gone however it pulls violently to the left when you give throttle. Now I notice with it switched out of AWD that the front left wheel stays engaged. I have tried running it in reverse in 2WD and then shifting it into low but the front left stays engaged. Keep in mind everything was normal prior to the install of the lift kit. do you think something is going on in the front dif? please help.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

the lift kit changed the angles of the axles, therefore causing them to somewhat bind, I would say your diff is fine, and that you may have just pulled (overextended) one of the joints on the left

Old 04-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lift

Did you grind any off the front struts for cv clearance? The kits I bought showed that in the directions. Needs to be done due to the increased angle. Had to do that on my 02 700 and 05 800 and never had any issues.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I didn't do any grinding on the struts and have since returned the bike to its original configuration. But as I mentioned the problem still exists. So I think I will just tear down the the left axle and see if it pulled apart. If anyone has any other thoughts please chime in.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Another question on axle removal. When I remove the front axle from the front dif does the circlip on the spline remain on the shaft and if so can they be reused. If they cant be reused do you think NAPA would carry equivalent replacement clips. The reason I ask is the local polaris dealer went out of business about 2 weeks ago, and I dont want to have to wait a week for replacement parts. Also on the cv joint end of the shaft is it a snapring or circlip that holds the cv joint on the shaft?

Trending Topics

Old 04-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Prob

Circlips are re-usable. Had mine on/off many times without replacing. The clip on the other end is similar to a snap ring. With the boot pulled back you look on the shaft and find the machined out area that gives you access to it. Push down and give her a little pop and it should slide off.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Switz I appreciate the info....

Old 04-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did you find out on this one?? Were you able to get it fixed?

Quick Reply: Lift Kit problem