Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sjbr549
i'm leaning toward this one. i've sent for more info have'nt recieved it back yet.

Polaris Industries KTP HELMET from JAN-CEN AUTOMOTIVE PARTS INC Industries Helmets~q=bidaa1090zzfidaa104zz~r=~

Nice. There's some similar ones too. Not sure if this lid is Snell approved. DOT is marginal IMO. Any idea on the price? Interested to see what it weighs too. Weight is a factor.

I'm starting to like the idea of the shield on the full face sport helmet. It's kind of like an adventure / dual sport style helmet the on/off road BMW guys ride in.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

price is $99.99 any size. from a google search it's dot approved and has a polycarbonate shell no info on number of vents

Old 04-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the problem with goggles? Not trying to be funny, I'm asking seriously since I've never really heard anyone say they are sick of them..... I didn't know they were a hassle.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ss97
What is the problem with goggles? Not trying to be funny, I'm asking seriously since I've never really heard anyone say they are sick of them..... I didn't know they were a hassle.
I don't know, I just don't like the feeling anymore of the closed-in-ness. I'd like to get away from them if possible. They are pretty much mandatory in really dusty conditions though. I'm thinking I can successfully make a break from them. Considering the price of the Arai XD and the Shark it will be an expensive experiment if it doesn't work out and I end up back in goggles. BTW, I wear glasses and can't do contacts.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Trailblazer

I got a HJC helmet for my motorcycle and it is full face and when the guy says it is hot, well it is pretty hot and that is on the highway going 70mph. I can only imagine how hot it would be out trail riding.

Not sure how hot it gets up in Maine but here in Missouri in the summer it gets up to the 90's and sometimes 100's. Not fun with a full face helmet, i keep my shield up wearing sunglasses as long as i can before i eyes start to water.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FunRide
I don't know, I just don't like the feeling anymore of the closed-in-ness. I'd like to get away from them if possible. They are pretty much mandatory in really dusty conditions though. I'm thinking I can successfully make a break from them. Considering the price of the Arai XD and the Shark it will be an expensive experiment if it doesn't work out and I end up back in goggles. BTW, I wear glasses and can't do contacts.
Gotchya...... did you ever think of getting prescription goggles? Maybe they would not be as annoying without the glasses? Just curious since I have heard people complain about the "Over The Glasses" goggles.......

FWIW my buddy who rides with glasses, did not like the prescription goggles as he did try. But he found that OTG goggles made by Spy were much more roomy then regular OTG goggles. He also bought a special pair of riding glasses, that were more streamlined then his regular glasses.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by webbl19
Not fun with a full face helmet, i keep my shield up wearing sunglasses as long as i can before i eyes start to water.
I hear ya Webb. You gotta look into a new helmet. That sounds like it i truly sucks. Sweating like a pig in that thing.....You've reminded me why I don't want to use one. Thanks.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ss97
FWIW my buddy who rides with glasses, did not like the prescription goggles as he did try. But he found that OTG goggles made by Spy were much more roomy then regular OTG goggles. He also bought a special pair of riding glasses, that were more streamlined then his regular glasses.
Cool. I'll check out Spy OTG types. I tried to get some really form fitting prescription sunglasses, but they don't work with my lens type. I'm thinking a full face with shield, or the sweet Shark would be a good fit. The Shark and the Arai are so damn expensive though. Didn't want to spend $500 on a helmet. You gotta be comfortable though and you gotta be safe.

Some kind of ultra-light two piece form fitting kevlar skull protection that wraps around your chin would be nice. I see it clamping in the center and custom made per rider. The shield would pressure fit on with various shades of smoke available....grab the shield with one hand and stick it to the top when you stop. -Not an option at this time.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by FunRide
I hear ya Webb. You gotta look into a new helmet. That sounds like it i truly sucks. Sweating like a pig in that thing.....You've reminded me why I don't want to use one. Thanks.
Any full face helmet will be hot in the summer, the more expensive ones might have a little better ventilation but no way am i going to be spending $200-$300 on a helmet.

You could look into a 3/4 helmet (old school looking ones) some of those have shields on them that you can drop down. IMO they look kind of dorky. Something like this. THH T-371 Open Face Helmet at BikeBandit.com

Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by webbl19
You could look into a 3/4 helmet (old school looking ones) some of those have shields on them that you can drop down. IMO they look kind of dorky. Something like this. THH T-371 Open Face Helmet at BikeBandit.com
Yeah, I agree with you. The 70s 3/4 helmet look is kind of silly.

Quick Reply: New Helmet