Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

NEW XP's

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009 | 01:53 PM
Trailblazer

I own a 850 and my dad has a 550 and the only problems i have had is deciding to ride the 850 or drive my rzr,as for waiting i agree with what was said above you can always wait for something newer or better but how do you ever know that the minute you finallly buy that they wont improve the next year.As far as new models having problems look how long the 500 has been around and some of the new ones still have problems from time to time. The new xps are really a totally differant machine all for the better and i owned 2 800s a 600 and a 500 before and my wife still has a 500.

Old 04-24-2009 | 03:06 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

it boils down to prefence of what you want. i agree some new models have thier issues and some dont. when the 05' 800 came out they had a few small issues and thats why i waited for the 06'. however the new 800 HO came out i bought it. there again its the same engine, just a little differnt. each to their own on wheather to wait or buy. totally up to you as the buyer.

Old 04-24-2009 | 06:50 PM
Range Rover

I don't agree with the idea of not buying a first year model, waiting for the perfect bike won't happen but the XP is closer to one than anything I have ridden. I think people who are waiting are missing out on a great bike. I have had mine since last Oct. & have had no issues so far (knock on wood) it really is a great bike.

Old 04-24-2009 | 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

I'd hold off R' not only for the first year model stigma, but also for the out of this world price tag. I personally can not see spending 10 grand on a quad. Dont get me wrong, I love them and ride whenever I can but I cant spend that much on one big boys toy and if you wait a while you know you'll save some money. For those that have them thats great, somebody has to buy em or they'll quit making em. Now I'm not knocking you guys at all. If I hit the powerball tommorrow I'd buy a fleet of them along with some heavy equipment to have a lot of fun, but realistically speaking I'm gonna hold off for a while. Another thing that helps me is I dont have the "Keeping Up With The Jones'" addiction and I dont have all that much money anyway.

Old 04-24-2009 | 09:52 PM
|
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Well all, as a few may KNOW, I took a spill going up a steep hill on a mountain side (Black Trails - Most difficult), I got a little hurt but my Quad got crashed pretty good, Side rolling and tumbling down and then a runaway bike at the end. Muffed up pretty bad. So I have insurance and right now we are IN THE MIDDLE of the cost estimate. I suffered extensive damage to it.

I am now considering all my options now. It maybe that they TOTAL it out. If they do then I am SCREWED! I owe about 3k on the bike still and they will only give me the difference in the value. I have put soo much money out on this bike and took a lost with my trade etc. to get this bike. It just seems that I keep losing on this whole deal.

With 3k left, where can I get a bike of my quality? I lose on all the accessories etc. If I didn't mention this before they will take ownership of the bike. I am pretty bummed but happy I lived to tell about it. My back/neck and foot has not been the same!

Sorry for venting....:-( (Those who know me know I am usually upbeat but this one is wearing on me, sorry guys!)

Its not a closed case yet, but todays conversation with my claims adjuster and the shop mechanic wasn't positive! I think they are leaning that way but who knows, I should know by Monday/Tuesday on what the deal is. I didn't want to tell my story until I knew more. It took 2 weeks just to get my bike in the shop to get evaluated. For insurance purposes I won't post yet what all damage I have, this kinda thing can get real dicey, been there and done that with my auto (car and truck) before.

Just say it was barely ridable off the mountain, and lots of plastic damage (No real biggie for the techie but I have more thats wrong.) If the front end frame is bent/torqued then they will total it per the shop mechanic. I feeled screwed left and right from the depreciation-to-insurance-to-shop, but such is life I guess/

R'

Old 04-25-2009 | 05:42 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

my guess pal is if the frame is bent, and w/ all the other damage you hint too, then they will total it for sure. what i would do if they do is get what they give you for money and then turn around and buy it back from them(if they let it go for real cheap money as they usually do) and then either fix it back up w/ used parts(this is if the frame isnt too bad to ride safe) or least part it out and get your access. back to either sell or put on another bike. good luck

Old 04-25-2009 | 07:30 AM
Pro Rider

Put another 30 miles on my 850 last night. Almost done with break-in, and the power is increasing nicely. The thing is a blast in every type of trail, but it is a hillclimbing monster! No problems (yet) but I need to put a few more hundred miles on it before I'm no longer worried about belt issues. I need some handguards though.

Old 04-25-2009 | 09:56 AM
|
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Good info. Stendori! My Uncle brought up that point too. If they total it maybe I can do
a buy back. Once again money out and then take it back to sell to me? Man, I should go into the insurance business! I guess in a few days I will know for sure on where it is leaning. I tell ya rather than go through all that mess I wish they would just FIX it! I would be a HAPPY CAMPER! I still really like my bike!

I posted this thread to really learn whats what on the new ones. Seems like these threads always go negative, thanks to all for the objective posts and information.

What was NOT said is to those suffering problems with new model issues, what were they limited to? The 550XP or 850XP? What has the dealerships done to correct the problem? Have they been covered under warrenty?

Thanks,

R'

Old 04-25-2009 | 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Man, Rtick, I hope you can get out of this with your quad in the shape it was before the mishap.

Old 04-25-2009 | 06:05 PM
Trailblazer

My brother totaled his 800 outty last year. It was an 07. they gave him kelly blue book for it and cashed out some of the aftermarket items, like the pipe and efi controller. He made out ok. Then the dealer let him get the pipe and what not off of it before the insurance folks took it. Maybe it won't be so bad for ya R...