Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

NEW XP's

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009 | 11:30 PM
Range Rover

I just went for a great ride with my buddy that has a 500 Sportsman. We rode logging roads and trails. Some parts of the trails were a little on the skinny side but the 850 made it through everything with ease. The 500 would fit between the rocks and 850 through or over it really didn't matter. The 850 is just a great pile of fun to ride. It has the power to drift around the corners in 4 wheel drive, stay level and straighten out again very quickly with a little more power it would just accelerate hard and eat up a lot of road in a hurry. It is just the most fun. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up and 850 now.
Take care
Dave

Old 04-26-2009 | 07:24 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by RticKwad
Seems like these threads always go negative, thanks to all for the objective posts and information.
Especially from the experts that have five minutes or less on an XP. They seem to have a lot of advice and opinions on the new machines.

Old 04-26-2009 | 12:25 PM
DCT
Banned

Originally Posted by RticKwad

What was NOT said is to those suffering problems with new model issues, what were they limited to? The 550XP or 850XP? What has the dealerships done to correct the problem? Have they been covered under warrenty?
That's a good point R'. It's almost more important to have a great dealer than it is to choose a specific machine. Still, there is a point where the dealer can only do some much. The guy we ride with is getting a new belt from the dealer who is eating the cost (Polaris said no). However, the dealer said there is nothing he can do about the rear brakes... they are a wear item. The guy is selling the 850 and buying a different quad.

I ride with this guy, and before I saw what happened to his machine, I thought all the issues with the 850 were mostly "driver abuse". Now I'm not so sure.

Anyhow, in the end, neither the "experts" that have issues, nor the ones that think they are experts that don't have issues will be there to help you if you do have problems, and they are not paying for the quad... you are.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-26-2009 | 03:13 PM
|
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Nice points guys!

Still could someone post me a XP comparison of issues?

Example:

550XP
------
Issue with suspension
Issue with cold starts (etc. etc. example)

850XP
-----
Clutch belts early wear
Heat issues

Just examples, I would like to know the Diff between the two OR are those posts
issues for both bikes? B/C I read in the mags they both have different engines, 550 is Fujitsu and 850 is American made.

Thanks,

R'

Old 04-26-2009 | 03:45 PM
BPM
Range Rover

I'm not sure what problems the 550 has but heres a couple of issues i've had with the 850.
I had to have the fuel system reflashed. For some reason i kept fouling plugs but since that was done shes runs great. And i snapped a lower front ball joint and wrinkled the a-arm.
Both were completely covered by Polaris. No belt or brake issues here and i'm pushing 500 miles. I ride her hard in high gear most of the time. All and all it a great machine. The only thing that sucks for me is we ride in Wisconsin alot and their not trail legal because of the 14" rims. Hopefully that will change soon.

Old 04-26-2009 | 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

I have the 550. There is currently 19 hours and 200 miles on it. I have had no issiues. All the so called "issiues" I have read about are on the 850. Every time I ride it I like it even more. This is my wifes machine. I have a 800. If I go for a ride by myself i take the 550. Besides power, everythnig about the xp is better.

Old 04-26-2009 | 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by dslanec
I have the 550. There is currently 19 hours and 200 miles on it. I have had no issiues. All the so called "issiues" I have read about are on the 850. Every time I ride it I like it even more. This is my wifes machine. I have a 800. If I go for a ride by myself i take the 550. Besides power, everythnig about the xp is better.
I also have both an 850 and the 550. DSLANEC is correct that the 550's have had very little if any problems. Both bikes are terrific with the difference being the extra power of the 850. I find it interesting that you grab the 550 over your 800.

- brian

Old 04-26-2009 | 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DCT
Anyhow, in the end, neither the "experts" that have issues, nor the ones that think they are experts that don't have issues will be there to help you if you do have problems, and they are not paying for the quad... you are.
Correct, he is paying for the quad. -Never claimed to be an expert and have no illusions of being an "expert". However, I own one and you don't. You do seem to have a lot of negative opinions on the XP based apparently on your friend's experience. Do you think a few people who complain is of some statistical significance? No, you don't need to own one to have an opinion, but I just find it interesting that you're so down on them and offer that up on a more than regular basis.

Old 04-26-2009 | 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Ruggo
I also have both an 850 and the 550. DSLANEC is correct that the 550's have had very little if any problems. Both bikes are terrific with the difference being the extra power of the 850. I find it interesting that you grab the 550 over your 800.

- brian
I mostly do because that is the only time I can ride it.And it is also new. When we go together she will not ride mine. It FEELS to big for her to ride. On the xp she feels like she is way more in control than on mine. I like pushing the throttle on mine more than the xp! She has had 2 kawasaki's (08 750 & 05 650 sra). When the xp came out she took it for a test ride and was hooked. Now I got her on a polaris! She feels it is by far her fav quad to date. Other machines have ripped the handelbars from her, But not the xp(and it is not power steering)

Old 04-26-2009 | 08:15 PM
Trailblazer

Just turn 200 miles on my XP850 today nothing wrong no belt no cold start issue no broken ball joint .trust me i ride it hard.and like everything that is new and fast ,nice. if you read any forum you will find all the trouble they have.i have a buell firebolt and a sea-doo jet boat supercharge.if i have read on those machine before i will never buy one.but the buell will have is third set of tire this week whit nothing wrong and the jet boat 150hres on is first supercharge clutch.